4x4 does not work | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

Dont assume. Work some troubleshoting first. Power and ground

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue with my truck, 2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4.0 V6 AWD.
4x4 high works and Auto works (I assume, no lights come on when I press Auto, but the 4x4 high light goes out) but no lights come on for 4x4 low.
I also get a little weird feeling when I back up, almost like a tire is rubbing while I back up or go forward with the wheel turned like something is binding up. Not sure. If anyone knows what I should look for lemme know :)

2001 Sport Trac no 4wd lights or engagement

In my Sport Trac the radio was dead and there was no 4wd. I checked the fuses by looking at them and thought they were fine (turns out they were not). First lesson learned - auto fuses may look fine when they are not. I put in a new 4wd module and still nothing worked. Took it to the dealer and they found that the fuses were bad and when they put in new ones the new ones blew. They found no power going to one of the connector pins to the 4wd module. They started tracing wires and found a short under the truck. Once they fixed that the fuses stopped blowing and the 4wd worked again. As a bonus the radio started working. Moral of the story - check the relevant fuses carefully and consider shorted wires as a possibility.

Hello all,
Appears I have the dreadead battery dead (daughter left the lights on) and 4x4 not working. My ABS light was on which turned out to be the sensor which apparently was more expensive on its own than the whole bearing assembly, plus the bearing was on its way out after 2 years so got the whole thing done. Not sure if the two problems were related but the control module is next.

If I don't replace the module, am I damaging anything or am I simply losing the 4x4 functionality? I know I could use it in the winters in Chicago but just curious.

Tired of pouring money into this but I need to hold on to the car for a while longer because I am told the control arms and boot are on their last leg so would prefer to spend my money on that when the time comes. Open to suggestions.

Thank you.

Edit: Ah, heck with it. Decided to bite the bullet and ordered it from EBAY, Tasca for $187, $25 cheaper than others. Locally, it's $281. I called Tasca in Rhode Island and a human being answered and did state that they had an ebay store along with a website, may even be a dealership? Also, Gaudi, Silver State out of Nevada all seem to be the same thing. I still don't know why companies have multiple websites and multiple ebay stores, oh well. Will report experience.
P/N: 1L2Z7E453A
2002 ford Explorer, xlt, 4L V6 GAS

I don't think any harm can come from not having the 4x4 working, if that is your question. Mine didn't work for about a year. Today, I spent a fortune and had the dealer take care of the module and also the switch which was apparently bad. Dont ask me how much it cost, I'm too embarrassed to say...

hello all,

I have been reading through this thread and have come to the conclusion that most likely my 4x4 control module is to blame as I have recently disconnected the battery and since lost 4x4 capabilities. My question is: Is there any way that I am able to test the control module to verify that this is in fact the issue that I am experiencing?

thanks very much
jack

Thanks for all the info on the 4x4. The dash lights still work on mine but no 4x4. Checked to see if it has power going to it and it does just doesn't work. Power may be for the lights not sure. Sure hate to take it to the dealer to reset it. Wonder if there is another way?

New TM182 4x4CM fixed it! Also fixed DFCO

My module went out when I disconnected the battery to replace my cylinder head temp sensor. No lights at all. New Motorcraft TM182 fixed it.

I learned something else... I monitor my OBD-II data while driving using the Torque app. Just before the battery disconnect I went down a big hill and noted that fuel consumption went to zero after several seconds of coasting with RPM over 1400 (4.6 Liter motor). After the disconnect there were no errors in OBDII, but the ability to cut fuel while coasting disappeared. Once the new module was in the DFCO works again.

So running without the 4x4CM in hilly country might cost you a few extra cents in gas, FWIW.

hello all,

I have been reading through this thread and have come to the conclusion that most likely my 4x4 control module is to blame as I have recently disconnected the battery and since lost 4x4 capabilities. My question is: Is there any way that I am able to test the control module to verify that this is in fact the issue that I am experiencing?

thanks very much
jack

Nope. If no lights on dash after a battery disconnect then 99.9% likely that the module is to blame.

Battery reset didn't work.

My module went out when I disconnected the battery to replace my cylinder head temp sensor. No lights at all. New Motorcraft TM182 fixed it.

I learned something else... I monitor my OBD-II data while driving using the Torque app. Just before the battery disconnect I went down a big hill and noted that fuel consumption went to zero after several seconds of coasting with RPM over 1400 (4.6 Liter motor). After the disconnect there were no errors in OBDII, but the ability to cut fuel while coasting disappeared. Once the new module was in the DFCO works again.

So running without the 4x4CM in hilly country might cost you a few extra cents in gas, FWIW.

BTW - I tried the battery reset. Didn't do anything. Looks like it only possibly works if your module still gives you 4x4 lights at key-on.

Switching modules

Don't really have time to read this whole post with tomorrow's storm coming in a few hours... I just bought an 02 limited v8, no 4x4, no lights (cluster ones are out, console buttons are lit)...I replaced an 02 xlt v6 with the limited... The 4x4 worked on the xlt - can I use that module behind glove box?

I know this may be a long shot, but do you still have the pictures of he old and new 4x4 control module?

The new control module fixed my problems.

This is the old part.

OldModule.jpg

This the label on the box of the new module. The number is the Ford Catalog part number you want as of 2/2010.

ModuleBoxClose.jpg

This is the label on the new part. The number is the Engineering Number, not the Ford Catalog number. This confused me a little at first and I had to ask the Ford parts guy if I had the right part. This Engineering Number can change as the part is updated over time while the Ford Catalog number stays the same.

NewModule.jpg

Not available....

As with many threads on this forum now.

Seems people like post helpful pictures only for short time and then take them down. On many many forums...

2002 explorer xlt 4x4, originally 4x4 lights would occasionally blink. 4x4 did not work. I acquired it and the 4x4 lights never came on. My 4x4cm pn was 2c54-7h473-bd. Stealership wanted $300 but was helpful enough to give me an updated pn 2c54-7h417-bj and replacement pn 2c54-7h417-a

I found the 2c54-7h417-bj referenced on Amazon as a cross reference for tm152 which I ordered for $169 with free prime shipping. 5 minutes to install and my 4x4 functions perfectly!

2002 explorer xlt 4x4, originally 4x4 lights would occasionally blink. 4x4 did not work. I acquired it and the 4x4 lights never came on. My 4x4cm pn was 2c54-7h473-bd. Stealership wanted $300 but was helpful enough to give me an updated pn 2c54-7h417-bj and replacement pn 2c54-7h417-a

I found the 2c54-7h417-bj referenced on Amazon as a cross reference for tm152 which I ordered for $169 with free prime shipping. 5 minutes to install and my 4x4 functions perfectly!

Back in Jan of 2015 I was having the same problem as most of the posts here. I was shopping for the 4x4 module, but never bought one. About a year and a half ago, I bought a new battery, and installed. When I connected the terminals the lights flashed, and I believe there may have been some clicking. When I checked the 4x4 dash lights came on, and 4x4 worked as it should, Until a few days ago, The battery went low, near dead from sitting, When I tried to start it the gages went crazy, flickering back and fourth. After I recharged the battery I did not have my 4x4, and now looks like the same problem all over again. It seems that the battery has much to do with this problem.....

I noticed a few years ago that connecting and disconnecting the battery definitely affects the module, it would act strange for a few days while the module would make clicking noises. I've had no 4x4 for a couple years but I just bought a module on eBay for about 80 bucks, I haven't installed it yet, I think I'm afraid it's going to get stuck in 4 wheel drive since it's been so long but I'll post what happens when I do. I think I'm waiting for the first snowfall.

Finally, FWIW: The TC shift motor ONLY shifts TC into LOW and out again. 4X4 HIGH and AUTO are brought about by energizing the electronic clutch in the TC. Lastly, beginning 2004, there is NO 4X4 Module; 4X4 control is done by the PCM which for 4X4 LOW turns TC motor in one direction to shift into LOW, and the other direction to shift out of LOW. Two relays are remotely mounted on the right fender apron near the hood hinge, which send the juice to the drive motor. imp

I know this is an old thread so not sure if I’ll get a response. I have an 03. 4x4 low button is illuminated but no four wheel activated. The buttons are dead won’t do anything. I have no 4x4 lights that will come on on the dash. I tried replacing the control module with the part number off ford parts.com. It didn’t change anything. Any ideas of what my issue could be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is an old thread so not sure if I’ll get a response. I have an 03. 4x4 low button is illuminated but no four wheel activated. The buttons are dead won’t do anything. I have no 4x4 lights that will come on on the dash. I tried replacing the control module with the part number off ford parts.com. It didn’t change anything. Any ideas of what my issue could be
@Abc12

4X4 LOW is engaged by the 4X4 drive motor, mounted on the transfer case. Generally, the 4X4 LOW light does not illuminate unless the motor has shifted the TC into LOW. Therefore, I would suspect the problem lies within the TC. imp

Back