• Register Today It's free!

4X4 Transfer Case Motor

kuhntech

Reaction score
City, State
Chico, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I have read the "How-To's" and completely understand how to do the replacement. My issue is that all of the replacement parts I am finding do not look like they have the same number of wires. The plug on mine has like 6 wires going to the motor and a brown wire going to a sensor on the transfer case and two other wires going to another sensor. What should I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where are you getting your parts? The good parts stores should be able to get you what you need.

To replace the motor you will need to remove some wires from the connector, or cut and splice them. I think there are three wires that need to be removed. Two are for the speed sensor and the other is for the electro-magnetic clutch inside the transfer case. There should be seven more wires for the motor itself.

I checked online at Napa and Kragen. They both carry the same motors with the same part numbers. Can the little keeper on the back of the electrical plug be removed to allow the wires to come out?

I called Kragen and the guy was an idiot. He didn't even know what the motor was for. As for Napa they don't have one is stock.

I checked online at Napa and Kragen. They both carry the same motors with the same part numbers. Can the little keeper on the back of the electrical plug be removed to allow the wires to come out?
yes, but the keeper comes out the from the inside of the plug, (if that makes sense) Use a dental pick. Some guys say a small nail will work. I didn't read about, find that clue till after I cut mine. grrr

IIRC the only wire that stayed connected was the brown one the other two to the speed sensor just pop off easily at the case. that metal tab you've already taken off is the only thing that holds it in securely.

I'm gonna go ahead and ask. Are you sure your motor is toast? and not the bad plastic stop bumper or the computer controller. If so, ignore.

Yes that makes perfect sense. I figured it must come out. People were talking about how they had to cut the "brown" wire but i knew there had to be a way to remove it.
Anyways as for the motor, I price matched one at Kragen. It is a re-manufactured make by Cardone. I went for the reman because it has a lifetime warranty on it. Kragen's retail on the reman is 129.99 and I got it for 83.99 so it wasn't too bad. I got the motor just in case though. I am going to try to rebuild the old motor once it's off the truck, but I wanted to have a new motor there just in case I broke the magnets or something trying to "tap" it with a hammer.
Thanks for your help!

Back