5.0 V8 Belt tenisioner replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 V8 Belt tenisioner replacement

rgundran

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT AWD 5.0 V8 167k
This forum rocks! Whenever an issue pops up, this place has my back.

My initial issue was a whiny noise from the front of the engine. It corresponded with the RPM's and basicly sounded like a electric motor. After doing research on here, the belt tenisioner (BT) or the lower idler pulley(IP) was suspected.

There are many posts on here and on utube, ehow, wherever that gives advice and directons about changing a 4.0, but could find only one post on here that was about a 5.0.

So my bit of knowledge to add to the forum:

Using the diagram on the hood of car, you probably know the where the belt tenisioner is located at, but if not, its at the lower right hand facing the front of the car, right above the lower idler pulley.

Using a 15mm socket and breaker bar, tighten the bolt in the middle of the BT pulley and it will contract the tensioner enough that the belt will be able to be removed from around the idle pulley.

I removed the IP to gain access to the two 10mm bolts that secures the BT to the engine.

Installation is reverse.

Recommend gaining access to this from under the car.

Ended up replacing both idler pulleys since the belt was off. Autozone sold the lower for 17 and the upper was 12, or was it vice versa? The BT ran 42 bucks.

My two cents

Did the pulley's become real shiny? I'm trying to figure out what part needs to be replaced on mine. With the defroster on there's more noise than usual coming from the AC compressor. Hope it's not ACC seizing causing wear on the pulleys

Back