5.0 V8 Stalling / Need 30k tune up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 V8 Stalling / Need 30k tune up?

spta97

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 AWD
Hey all. Since it has been cold here in NY I've had some trouble starting my 2000 5.0 liter V8 AWD. I've replaced the battery so it cranks fine, it will just stall after it starts. This process goes on for a few minutes untill I give it some gas and the idle takes over. Once the truck is warm it starts right up.

I've searched but all I could find was IAC troubles on 4.0 liters V6s - not sure if that applies to the V8 and I have no whistling sound.

I'm almost at 30K and the dealer wants like $400 to tune it up (I have not brought it in about the stalling yet but I think that may help). Is that too much for a tune up?

*edit*

I just got a fax from the dealer - the price for the 30K tune up is $425 and does not include the plugs or wires (that's 60K). Here is the list of services:

Oil & filter, install BG service kit, washer fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, multi-point inspection, battery service, inspect A/C, rotate tires, coolant drain and refill, inspect brakes, inspect ball joints, inspect steering & linkage, inspect fuel lines & hoses, replace air filter, replace wiper blades, replace fuel filter, transmission drain & refill.

Also (not sure if these are included in the $425):

Transmission flush service
Differential and transfer case service
fuel injection service
engine oil power flush

There is not a lot of parts for this price, I'm leaning to do it myself. Are there instructions I can get anywhere?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 97 V8, and just cured a stalling/missing problem. The truck would want to stall out at stoplights in drive, and shudder when reversing or the engine rpms were under 1500. Your problem sounds different than mine, but here's what I did.

I replaced two things that made a difference, the first being a set of spark plug wires. The #3 wire had snapped at boot, and the truck was only running on 7 cylinders. The exhaust manifolds and the routing of the wires subject them to massive amounts of heat and they degrade quickly. These bad boys are hard to replace if you're not familiar with the truck, but definitley still a DIY job (we'll help you) and run about 60 a set.

I also replaced the IAC on the truck, for about $70 (From Fordpartsnetwork.com - awesome people there). It helped (I put it in before the plug wires) but I could have gone without it. Oh well.. now i have a spare.

IAC problems apply to all Fords, not just the 4.0 V6.

Its says it includes a tranny drain and refill, which means just dropping the pan. That is NOT a flush. Injector cleaning would be extra. The differential fluids don't need to be changed at just 30K miles. Unless your running copper plugs, they should not need to be changed at 30K either. Neither should the wires, unless there is some type of damage to them.

$425 sounds like a ripoff. You could do all the things they have listed in that yourself.

Originally posted by BradE.
You could do all the things they have listed in that yourself.

Easily. Plus, I wonder if they really check your 'fuel lines'. WTF. It sounds like that list is just a bunch of filler to justify that price.

Most of that is not nessesary on your low mileage ride... and those that are are a 1/4 that price to do yourself.

Yea, the more I read the description it seems like a lot of "checking" and "inspecting" which I know they don't really do. Is there a good write up on a 30K tune up for the X 5.0 liter? I've searched the board and found nothing. Also, the Chilton and Hayes manuals I've used in the past were less than perfect. They all seem to "cover years 0 - 2004 all models, all cars" :rolleyes: I have not seen any good books that pertain specifically to one model year.

I've scheduled an appointment for tomorrow to have them take a look at the stalling problem as well as my "Reverse" to "Drive" 3 second delay. I'm just afraid that they'll come back with "you need a tune up". The X has only got 29,400 miles now so tune up or not it should not be stalling. I'm really begining to think Ford is a big POS :mad:

Back