5R55W in 2002 EB ...HELP..have codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W in 2002 EB ...HELP..have codes

kolb

Reaction score
City, State
New Braunfels, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
2002 Eddie Bauer AWD Explorer with the 4.0. Truck has a little over 100,000 miles on it. Approx 6 months ago acted like it was slipping a couple of hundred RPM going up a hill in OD, had a TC shudder and a 2-3 flare. Changed fluid & filter, adjusted bands (thanks to this site!!!) and all seamed fine.

Last night wife gets out on highway and after about 180miles, OD light blinks and she said it was slipping in OD going up a hill. She pulled over (good wife) and called asking what to do. I told her to go back home a baby it along the way. She did, and it didn't act up again on the way home.

This morning she took it in to an independant shop and the codes were PO735 and PO775. I think he said "5th ratio problem" and "circuit B pressure problem". He said he normally does not see these two together and is suspecting water from the A/C condensate drain may have gotten into the trans connector. (I have had a problem on this truck with the A/C condensate getting into the O2 connector so it seems plausible.) I asked if the water could cause a low pressure controll issue for the 5th gear and set off the "ratio" code. He is going to check it out and get back to me. OK "Glacier" and "Brooklyn" (or anyone else)...What say you?....(sorry for the long post)

EDIT - He also stated the tech drove the truck and it acted fine during the drive. I added that many here have had VB/solenoid problems and he said sometimes they can act up when they get warm but test out OK. He seems to be a pretty honest guy....or is that my wishful thinking...lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He sounds honest by not trying to talk you into a full rebuild for $3k. Some places don't even try to scan it or make a diagnosis. Since this transmission has 100k miles, I would suggest that you replace the solenoid block since most of them only last about 60k. Some have gone up to 100k with regular fluid changes every 30k miles. The rest of the transmission is usually good except for the known issue with the servo bores getting worn down. There is a fix for that too. Start with the solenoid block, and flash the PCM with a new tune. Ask this mechanic if he could do these 2 things. If he can't, then I would suggest to either replace the solenoid block on your own (read the thread written by Borland), and have the dealer flash the PCM or just find a shop which could do both jobs. Check WWW.ATRA.Com to see if his shop is a registered member.

Both of those are principally solenoid codes. Like BB says, replace the solenoid block. I am betting that will solve your problem. If not, you were due anyway.

He's not part of the ATRA from what I could find but maybe he can still do a reflash. I'll check with him. He actually seemed really sure it was going to be the water in the connector. Hopefully it is but I told him I didn't mind him replacing the solenoid pack if there was any doubt it could be the problem. He said he agreed. I guess we'll see. Thanks for the help.

Thanks guys, I'll post back with my findings/ results.

Well, they called today and said the wiring looked "perfect" with no signs of water exposure. They dropped the pan and said there was no clutch material in the pan and that it looked good. He is going to flush the trans and replace the soleniod pack and said he thinks this should fix the problem. He said he did NOT have the ability to re-flash the computer but would bring it to the Ford house if I wanted him to for the re-flash. He also stated they add an additive to the trans fluid, similar to a posi additive, that should prevent the converter shudder. I would have done the solenoid pack myself but I am too far away and this guy seems OK........anyone have any exceptions on what we are doing? How important is the re-flash?

Oh, FWIW my 2002 was built in early 2001 so this is one of the first 5R55W's from what I can tell and it has the "do not disturb" sticker on it from Ford for special warranty handling. I suppose there have been many software "upgrades" since then...:scratch::dunno:

I'd consider a reflash a low priority. See how it handles once you get it back is my advice. Your guy sounds competent.

I told him to go ahead and have it re-flashed (can't hurt right?). He said the solenoids came in today but he has not installed them yet. I asked about a shift improver kit and he said he didn't think it would be necessary especially with as many miles as were on it. I'll keep posting until the problem is gone. Thanks again!!!!

Well, it's back from the shop. They changed the solenoid pack, flushed the entire system, put new fluid in with the "additive", and took it in to Ford for a re-flash of the computer. All for $715.00. I didn't feel too bad about the price considering the re-flash was $115.00 at the dealer (he gave me his receipt). Truck seems to drive well and all seems normal right now. I notice the shifts seem a little firmer...not much but a little. Thanks again everyone for all the help!!!!

I have a 2003 Explorer with 97,000 miles and am getting the P0775 code also. I changed the solenoid block and did a band adjustment but am still having issues. I get the code still and the truck doesn't want to go into 2nd gear. It will hold 1st on the way up and bypass 2nd when it kicks down during acceleration. Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks,
Mark

Is there a fix for that or am I looking at a new/rebuilt trans?

Mark

Back