8 yr old rusted to the knuckle wheel bearing removed with ease...KROIL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8 yr old rusted to the knuckle wheel bearing removed with ease...KROIL

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
Hello, I wanted to pass on how I removed my stuck wheel bearing.

I have a 2008 4x4 Eddie B with A4x4. My truck spent it's first six years in New Jersey before I bought it at an auction here in Los Angeles. It has rust issues but not bad considering it's upbringing.

The driver's side hub bearing and axle were rusted and seized. It took one broken puller, a sledge hammer, "air hammer," and finally a torch - and four or five hours of my time.

Now the passenger side was a whole different story!!! I bought the wheel bearing form A1autoparts. Nice people. I purchased some penetrant spray called KROIL. Not sure what it's made of but it worked. For a week every other day I sprayed Kroil on the axle and the seam between the hub and the knuckle. After one week the axle took one minor whack with a 3lb hammer to push it through. The hub came off with five or six motivating whacks. That was it.

After filing down all the rust back to bare metal and installing the new bearing, and coating everything with anti-seize, I was finished within one and a half hours. I spent two days hammering on the drivers side...

Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used kroil. It is Ford recommended penetrating agent when replacing sparkplugs on 06-08 v8.

Works much better than WD40 or PB Blaster.

Im gonna have to find this stuff and keep a can in the garage. PB Blaster and WD40 didn't do a damn thing for me when I was replacing my front hubs. Rust basically bonded the hub to the knuckle as if it were one piece. Spent so much money renting/buying huge heavy tools and ended up needing quite a big mini sledge hammer to get it off after a hundred hard whacks.

One of the tricks I have seen, is to lift the car using the hub as a support and bang with a hammer at the same time. Be careful when it gives.

Pull the knuckle with bearing attached. Easy to remove the bolts, then knock the bearing out with the BFH of your choice.

Back