• Register Today It's free!

91 feels like I have stone tires.

njguy_2000

Reaction score
City, State
Bethleham, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo
What do you think is more responsible for dulling a bump or pot-hole, Springs or shocks? my 91 takes any road inperfection (pot hole, uneven pavement, etc) and it feels like I have stone tires instead of rubber. I've gotten out a few times to make sure I didn't blow out my tire or crack my rim. I've replaced every component resently in the front (ball-joints, RA bushings) & most recently got new bilsteins and that didn't even help. The only thing that hasn't been replaced are the coil springs, has anyone put new ones on and had it made a difference?.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A steering stabilizer can help in dulling the "bump steer" you get in a pothole...but keep in mind these trucks ride very rough, and there is only so much you can do. Rubber bushings ride better than polyurethane ones. Also the TIRES have a big impact. A quality tire such as a Michelin or BFG will ride better than a cheaper tire.

Are you getting front spring sag? I have not seen too many that bottomed-out in normal driving. If the sag is really bad you will probably be able to tell it by the way the tires look from the front. Also it will be hard to align properly.

If your springs aren't sagging, I can't see how putting new ones in will make that much difference. Tires and ra bushings are the keys to a good ride imo. I think Explorer Express had a custom-spring-rate spring they put in their concept explorer, which they said helped the ride, but I can only go by what they said.

Bilsteins are, in my opinion, a very over-rated shock. I like Rancho's or Gabriels with this suspension. Avoid Edelbrock IAS.

Shocks absorb the shock of a bump. Thats why they're called shock absorbers. Lol.

I had a 83 Toyota 4X4 about 15 years ago. The truck was lifted and rode like it was missing the supension.
I removed the front Rancho shocks and bought 2 (I was poor at the time) Rancho 3-way adjustable shocks (RS-7000 I think).
The front shocks made a huge differance. I set the shocks on the lightest setting and it made a huge differance. The ride went from horrendous to tolerable. I didn't dread going over speed bumps after they were installed.
Shocks make a huge differance and the performance Bilstein shocks are probably a worse ride then a Monroe shock.

I lifted a Chevy 4X4 back in the day and installed a soft ride suspension. Its alot nicer ride then the stock leaf springs. They probably make something for Explorers.
The supsension brand was Tuff Country. They are low priced, good ride and never gave me any problems while I owned the truck.

Thanks for the input guys & where would I be without Vanquish to clear things up like that, wow. The springs don't bottom out but I was curious if anyone replaced em & noticed a major diff. The Bilsteins are only 3 months old but with em the truck handles like sports car. But keeping my fillings in my teeth is more important. What the hell, I'll get 4 new Ranchero's & hold onto the B's as back-ups.

Check the ride---> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2262259/1

You'll probably be in the same boat your in now if you buy the Rancho RS-5000's . Make sure you get the adjustable.

You might want to call a 4X4 shop for a second opinion.

I think shocks are the way to go. I remember running the above mentioned Chevy without shocks for a couple days and when I would go over speed bumps the truck would bounce high but smooth and keep bouncing for several seconds.

njguy_2000 said:
The Bilsteins are only 3 months old but with em the truck handles like sports car. But keeping my fillings in my teeth is more important. What the hell, I'll get 4 new Ranchero's & hold onto the B's as back-ups.

Like I said, Bilsteins are over-rated on our trucks. Even worse are the Edelbrock IAS--you will get concussions in yer head driving over washboard roads with those shocks. But they are great for handling. I run Rancho 9000 adjustables and they are the best shock I've owned.

Back