92 4.0 manual explorer hit rev limiter sometimes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 4.0 manual explorer hit rev limiter sometimes.

shitboxfordexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer xl
so since I’ve owned my explorer I always though it never had a limiter because it would rev out and stay constant. The other day when I was out in the woods it bounced limit in first second gear a couple time then wouldn’t agian it just revs out. I don’t have a stock air box and it’s just the stock intake tube with some nasty off brand cone filter on the end. Not to mention there was a hold at the throttle body on the intake tube. Could cleaning the throttle body, mass air flow and going back to a stock box fix this problem or do I have bigger problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This sounds like something for the Modded part of the forum. I have never pushed mine to the redline and don't know if it has a limiter.

And the intake.....
I’d ditch the aftermarket cone garbage, clean the MAF, and throttle body with the appropriate cleaners and go from there. I know the 5.0 has a rev limiter, but I’ve never triggered it driving. I think on an old 4.0 is probably keep from the upper limits, anyways.

I think I’m just gonna go back to the stock box and replace all the sense on the intake. She a beer can not to worried about blowing her up. It’ll just give me the excuse to go with a 302 and full widths once the little 4.0 goes. Would like a limter I drive he hard when I’m wheeling.

I’d run a lower RPM than the limiter, anyways. The 4.0 doesn’t really make much power up top. If it’s just a ‘beer can’ and you aren’t worried about blowing it up I don’t see why the concern for the limiter.

Back