92 EddieBauer JBL Radio/CD Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 EddieBauer JBL Radio/CD Problem

Cruise Missile

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer
Strange problem going on here. I have the premium JBL Radio/CD in my 92 Eddie Bauer 4 door. In the winter when I start up the car from sitting in unattached garage the radio(No SOund)/no lights on faceplate/or clock will appear off. Its just dead... Now If I Drive a couple miles and stop at the light, turn the ignition off, and start it up... its back to normal. I don't have to reset the clock or station presets. Everything is back to normal. This has happened in the summer at times but its definitely happening in winter. At first I thought it was a loose wire at the battery cable, and I would move the cable around a little, even disconnect it from the terminal... Maybe just sometimes it would work. If it didn't I would drive and get tired of the silence and try this again. Well of course it would work because I've driven it a while. So now I don't do that and just turn it off and start it now. I remember that there is an always on power connection and a remote power connection (I think). It seems because its not losing the clock or presets its got to be somehow losing the remote connection. Maybe its warming up a bit. Its not that any battery connections are jiggling while driving. They are solid. Can anyone suggest something?

NO answers Yet?

Well it warmed up to mid 40's the last couple days... and the stereo played on start up. Now it went back to mid 20's last night and today no start up. Its definitely the cold thats causing this it seems. Still No Ideas?

Most likely one of the capacitors, or diodes in the head unit, that allow the unit to power up is about to go. The cold temperature causes objects to contract (with the exception of ice, which expands), thus, when cold your head unit does not work. When the ambient temperature warms around the affected part, and you cut the current to it, then add it again, the cap/diode functions properly.

Since you say that you do not have to reset anything when it powers up, the problem would be with the switched 12V side of the power block within the head unit, not the constant which holds your memory functions.

Bottom line, it would be less expensive to switch the HU with an aftermarket, or go to a junk yard for an OEM replacement...

Good luck...

Sounds Logical. Does anyone have a schematic of the radio... I replaced capacitors before, so I can do it. Just need the to know where it is.

Back