93 Explorer won't start *click* *click* - sound it makes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer won't start *click* *click* - sound it makes.

Zaose

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS and '93 XLT
Greetings all,

I just got a 93 explorer and it's been doing fine the past couple days. Last night someone left the dome light on, and this morning when trying to start it, the battery died very quickly.

We tried to jump it, but it wouldn't turn over - just *click* *Click* when turning the key.

We figured the battery was shot - so we picked a new one up at walmart.

Put it in - same thing *click* *click*.

We checked the fuel pump shutoff switch and it seems fine.

Any ideas? I greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Z

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad starter and/or bad starter solenoid.
Are your sure the Walmart battery is good? I have ocassionally found some "new" batteries on the shelf there that have been there a very long time (more than a year, based on the manuf date sticker) Make sure that new battery is fully charged.

Also, check/clean all your batt terminals, and make sure all yor connections are clean/tight.

If your sure that the batt is charged, and all connecions are good, have someone "tap" on the solenoid with a hammer/heavy solid object while you turn the key and try to start it. If that works, then you know you have a sticky solenoid, on its way out.

You can short the studs on the starter relay (fender mounted) with a screwdriver. If the engine turns over, then the relay is bad. If your truck has a manual trans, do this only if its in neutral. You can start the truck this way too, just turn the key to on before shorting the relay terminals. The truck will start as normally. Just be careful you will get sparks, don't touch the vehicle while doing this and hold onto the plastic handle only.

I have done this before to get home when my relay failed. Its funny how people react when they see you start a car this way.

Tap the starter with a small hammer -- key word "tap", not smash :)

Tap the starter with a small hammer -- key word "tap", not smash :)

eh, tap, smash. How 'bout we settle in the middle, on "whack"? :D

Happened to me a few weeks ago. Ended up being the battery cable. Make sure all your connections are good before tinkering with the starter

The tel tel click sound does indicate a lose connection somewhere. Meaning your battery is connected but not good enough. I vote on tighten the battery posts ;)

Thanks!

Thanks guys - it was the starter itself. Tried the relay short tip mentioned, and it still clicked. Replaced the starter and it started right up!

Appreciate all the advice and help! You guys are the best.

Z

Back