• Register Today It's free!

'94 explorer 4 wd problems

iggly2

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville Tn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 limited
I just purchased a 94 explorer limited and I don't believe the front wheels are locking in.I can hear a click in the rear of the vehicle when I press the 4 x 4 button and a clunk in the front when I press the low range button. How can I know for sure if it is working and what might be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start by suggesting you read the 4x4 troubleshooting thread at the top of the stock 91-94 forum to get a basic idea of how the system operates and basic troubleshooting. Then determine if the problem is in the transfer case or the hubs.

Yea I checked that and this is nwhat I found, when i checked the front axels they did not turn at all.I also turned the drive shaft and it turned until I hit the button for 4x4 and it no longer rotated.How can I see if it is working without getting stuck somewhere

put it in 4hi and stomp on it see if the rear wheels spin or if the truck just pulls forward.

could this be a problem with the front diff

I am required to reply, "yes, a bad front diff could cause problems with the 4wd working." However, the front Dana 35 differential very rarely fails on a stock truck, so I'd say it is unlikely.
I also turned the drive shaft and it turned until I hit the button for 4x4 and it no longer rotated.
This sounds like the transfer case is locking. When you shift into 4L, can you feel the gear reduction?
when i checked the front axels they did not turn at all.
How did you check the axles?

Basically follow the power flow: the transfer case rotates the front driveshaft. The front driveshaft rotates at least one of the axleshafts. The axleshafts rotate the wheels. When the driveshaft rotates, what happens?

When I put it in low I can hear a clunking sound from undernear the truck.I checked the axles by going under the front and grabbing the axle near the wheel and turning and it sounds like it is engaged and you can hear it from both wheels. The tranny was in park and 4x4 was not on at the time.

I have also learned recently that the rotors were replaced recently. Is there something that they might have done wrong.

I'm sure there's something they could have done wrong, like pack the hub full of grease (it's supposed to stay "dry") or forget to put the C-clip on the end of the axleshaft. Have you pulled the hubs off to see if it all looks right?

I checked the axles by going under the front and grabbing the axle near the wheel and turning and it sounds like it is engaged and you can hear it from both wheels.
This sounds like the hubs are working, though your hand can't apply near the torque the engine can.

Back to the beginning: why do you think the front end isn't locking in?

Are you comfortable with jacking it up off the ground and trying to run it without driving through the back of the garage or worse? That's probably the next thing I would do. Pick it up and see if there is power getting to either of the front wheels.

Back