97 CD player questions

Rodeo Joe

Elite Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
Frankin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Just wondering if the '97s came with CD players without Premium Sound? Mine has the FM/cassette and I'd like to go with a factory CD player if I could.

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a factory 6-disc in mine. It came stock and I do not have the premium sound system. A factory CD changer would suite your needs well as long as your stereo has the "CD" button already on it. Check eBay.com and you can probably find a CD Changer for around 100-150 bucks.

Matt,

I've only seen a few Explorers with a CD player in them. Not sure on the years, but I've seen one with a CD player in the dash unit and someone I work with has the changer in the console. Mine has the CD button you mentioned. So, can I add just the changer or do I need a new unit for the dash? Sorry for all the questions! :D

Joe

Since you have the cd button, all you we need is the wire to connect a cd changer to your existing stock unit. Mine CD changer is in the middle arm rest. There might already be a wire running there, you'd just have to check. Try a search for "installing stock cd changer".

Also, I know 1998 and up years have in dash style cd players, im not sure of the 91-97's though.

I did a search and didn't find any good news. I guess Ford only ran the wiring in the Explorers for the changers if they were equipped with one, so I'll have to change the whole console harness to do this.

Joe

does your radio have the cd button on it? if so, pop off the cubholder thing in the center console and see if you have the wires already ran, chances are you do. this is what mine looks like on my '97. i had the stock radio w/o jbl system with the 6 disc changer in the console. the radio and changer are for sale too.

415162_46_full.jpg

The radio does have the CD button. I'll check and see if I can find that plug. How hard is it to remove that part of the console?
Would a factory radio with an in dash CD player from a later year Ford work in a '97? Like this one.

Joe

im not sure whether or not that player would fit in an explorer, but the panels are very easy to take off. the one that has those 2 pockets in it for like change, just pull on it and it will pop right out. then go for the cupholder one and that will pop right now. you can just snap them back in when your done.

Pulled the panels off and no plug, I broke a clip off the cup holder panel too! :mad: In your picture there's a sticker with a B marked on it, the same sticker in mine has an A. Hmmm! :p

Joe

The changer plug is part of a huge bundle of the wiring harness. Since you already have a CD changer capable receiver, get a changer with an adapter from Crutchfield. I have the Kenwood 6-disk changer and the adapter for about $200 and it's totally worth it!

The one you showed us on Ebay won't work for your truck unless you splice all the wires while bypassing the amp. It's totally not worth it, plus, they're known to have display problem over time. So like I said...not worth it at all.

I've been doing searchs and found out a harness just for the changer is available for like $40. I think I know what to do now......just get the new harness and a changer! :p Thanks guys!
Brans, you mentioned a changer for sale. Details?

Joe

Back