97 Explorer XLT 4.0L failed UK emissions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer XLT 4.0L failed UK emissions.

Old Cool Ford

Reaction score
City, State
West Sussex, England
Hello from the UK and please can someone advise me on the following. I am thinking of buying a 97 4.0 V6 which has failed UK emissions test and runs rough. A mechanic has advised the current owner that the CATs may need replacing. The car is otherwise in reasonable condition for it's age and has only done 88k miles. If I buy the car I will get it cheap. Is it worth bothering with or should I walk away?

I doubt the cats need replacing at only 88k miles. More than likely its something simple like a vacuum leak or intake leak. By rough idle do you mean inconsistent? Some people on the forum have a problem with a high idle on the 4.0 ohv I believe.

Buy it, throw a can or 2 of seafoam through it, new plugs, new wires, new vacuum lines if needed. Should run like new. Check out the how to's in my signature.

Thank you for your advice. By running rough I meant that the car hesitates and misfires, particularly when cold. :thumbsup:

Gotcha. Do what I mentioned above, if that doesnt work try some fuel injection cleaner like lucas. If that doesnt work your looking at a clogged injector. Doubtful that it will go that far. Probably just a plug or wire.

Go luck and update us with how it goes!

Back