• Register Today It's free!

97' Front Driveshaft Help

Slednfool

Reaction score
City, State
New Brighton, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT
I have a 97' with a 302 and full time 4wd. The front joint on my front driveshaft went out.
The local auto parts stores have been no help and all my Ford dealer could get was a complete driveshaft.
Does anybody know the name of this type of joint? It is hard to explain, but it is not a u-joint, it has 6 ballbearings in a race inside of a grease packed boot.
All I need is the race and the boot. Does anybody know where I could find these parts?

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably need a center support bearing for the front driveshaft..

its called a spicer driveshaft (not sure if thats what the bearing is called)

-you can run your truck without a front driveshaft with no problems also

"you can run your truck without a front driveshaft with no problems also"

I have been for a few weeks now, but its getting cold here in Minnesota and snow is only a couple weeks away.

"You probably need a center support bearing for the front driveshaft"

There is no center support bearing. Instead of having a u-joint, it has this joint that I tried to explain.
Maybe I should try a junkyard.

According to the local Ford dealer, you have a Spicer 1210 bearing. They do sell a driveshaft support with a Spicer 1210 bearing.. I assume this what you want.

I did some more research and it looks like I will be buying a complet driveshaft. I found this on a wesite.

Ford offered Explorer’s in a 4WD and an All Wheel Drive configuration. Some AWD Models have an enclosed CV (no U-Joint) at the pinion end. A conversion shaft is available to with a U-Joint and Flange to bolt in to the existing pinion flange. This is a direct Bolt in with no modification. The OEM enclosed CV assembly is NOT available (except dealer-possibly?). Max U-Joint angle of 3 degrees recommended. This is not for lifted or modified vehicles. Please call for additional information on this conversion driveshaft. Note: This was not one of Ford’s ‘Better Ideas’

Back