'97 XLT - Premium Sound - System Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 XLT - Premium Sound - System Install

pyxis

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Just a quick question about whether I have to "bypass" the factory amp with a harness or not. I have the premium sound system (non-JBL) with the factory amp at the back.

This is what I'm installing:

Pioneer HU
Front Component Speakers
2 Channel Amp

The front speakers will be powered by the after-market 2 channel amp while the rear stock speakers will be powered by the HU. I already have a separate after-market mono sub amp and subwoofer installed.

I know I'm going to have to run new rcas and speaker wire for everything. I just want to know what the heck I have to do behind the HU to hook it up to the factory harness?

Thanks

Someone may chime in here if I am wrong please BUT...

On my 95 there are two connectors from the factory I think it is the same on your 97. One is for power and the other for speakers. Use only the power connector and leave the speaker side as is. Run your new lines for the rear speakers all the way to the rear speakers and disconnect the wires that are currently there.

This is assuming you either a) do not have the factory sub or b) you are not using it.

Thanks for the reply. Yea I don't have the factory sub. So I'm assuming then that I can just splice the power wires and I don't need the Metra wire harness kit?

I personally would buy the kit and only use the one side for power and put the speaker connector away in case It is needed in the future.

Back