98 AWD is it true symetrical awd or different | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 AWD is it true symetrical awd or different

98explorerAWD.V8

Reaction score
City, State
Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer AWD V8
hi i have a 98 explorer awd v8 and i was wondering if someone can answere my question. is the awd drive truely symetrical awd of if it is like 70/30 ratio from back to front. I'm trying to decide if im going to sell my truck for a true 4x4 or keep preferably.

thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normal operation is about 40/60 front/rear, but the transfer case constantly varies that based on driving conditions. The AWD is a good fit for most drivers that dont go looking to challenge the vehicle's capabilities. The AWD is designed for bad road conditions like rain/snow, driving substantially better than the 4wd. It is okay for light off road usage like forest service roads or beginner level jeep trails.

If your intention is to go mudding or rock crawling AWD is not a good choice. Keep in mind it is not a true 4x4 with low range - there is no lock on the transfer case. So if you take the AWD some place nasty, expect to need help getting back out.

If you want true 4x4 selectable, throw in a manual 4406 from a f150

thanks alot that helps me out! i appreciate you taking the time to respond

AWD is a true All Wheel Drive with a central differential, and with limited slip on that central differential and rear differential. You can loose traction on three wheels (two front and one rear) and AWD will still "pull you out". Even with both rear tires slipping, you still have power to "get out" using front tires. You can drive with right side on ice and left side grip will still pull the vehicle (think about snowy hills, with just the middle of road cleared).

Not so much on a 4x4. The 4x4 is just a straight connection between axles, cannot be used on regular roads. In 99.99% of the milage driven, your truck will be in 2x4 mode.

^ Yeah the AWD is pretty bad ass, especially what I realistically use it for.

AWD is a true All Wheel Drive with a central differential, and with limited slip on that central differential and rear differential. You can loose traction on three wheels (two front and one rear) and AWD will still "pull you out". Even with both rear tires slipping, you still have power to "get out" using front tires. You can drive with right side on ice and left side grip will still pull the vehicle (think about snowy hills, with just the middle of road cleared).

Not so much on a 4x4. The 4x4 is just a straight connection between axles, cannot be used on regular roads. In 99.99% of the milage driven, your truck will be in 2x4 mode.

AWD today is used in a sense that the front and rear axles receive a certain percentage of power all the time. There is no driver input needed, it takes care of itself.

The Explorer does not have a limited slip front diff, only one wheel will spin. The rear can have a limited slip if it was equipped with one from the factory. Even so, you can still get stuck easily as two wheels (one front, one rear) will have total power. Advance Trac helped out these conditions but pulsing brakes to slow wheels that don't have traction and can keep the vehicle moving with only one wheel with traction. That has nothing to do with the diffs though.

AWD today is used in a sense that the front and rear axles receive a certain percentage of power all the time. There is no driver input needed, it takes care of itself.

The Explorer does not have a limited slip front diff, only one wheel will spin. The rear can have a limited slip if it was equipped with one from the factory. Even so, you can still get stuck easily as two wheels (one front, one rear) will have total power. Advance Trac helped out these conditions but pulsing brakes to slow wheels that don't have traction and can keep the vehicle moving with only one wheel with traction. That has nothing to do with the diffs though.

I can say that when my wife got stuck in a snow drift, I noticed both back wheels spinning and only one side (can't remember now) front spinning. Definitely no kind of locker or posi-trac in the front on the AWD V8s.

Even so, you can still get stuck easily as two wheels (one front, one rear) will have total power.
Not true. Like I already stated, you will still have power on the other back wheel.
All the AWD Explorers that I saw come also with rear limited slip differentials. Center one has limited slip too (via Vascous Coupling that is heat-dependent).
Sure, front is open diff, but that's the same as in the 4x4 ones (including the AdvanceTrac).

Not true. Like I already stated, you will still have power on the other back wheel.
All the AWD Explorers that I saw come also with rear limited slip differentials. Center one has limited slip too (via Vascous Coupling that is heat-dependent).
Sure, front is open diff, but that's the same as in the 4x4 ones (including the AdvanceTrac).

This is true. AWD 5.0 Explorers have center and rear limited slips, long story short.

All 5.0 AWD Explorers have a limited slip 3.73 rear end from the factory. The front is an open diff, yes.

Back