98 sport 4X4 front driveshaft noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 sport 4X4 front driveshaft noise

kyjoe9

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport 4X4
Hi, I have 98 ford explorer sport 4x4 does has a clicking noise coming from the front driveshaft that connects the transfer case to the front differential. At first we thought it was the front drivers side cv joint which we replaced. nothing changed. there is still a noise apparently coming from the front driveshft. we can not tell if it is the front differential or the transfer case itself. The noise is being transfer through the front driveshaft. It sounds a bearing is going bad. has anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

see my thread, although mine's noit a clicking noise... my problem is not the front driveshaft.

I too have this problem.

I'm wondering how bad this is. Mine has started making this noise and my mechanic says it's a pretty expensive part. 500new and 250 rebuilt.,
I never use the 4x4 except in bad snow and wonder how bad it needs to be to fix this.

Hi, I have 98 ford explorer sport 4x4 does has a clicking noise coming from the front driveshaft that connects the transfer case to the front differential. At first we thought it was the front drivers side cv joint which we replaced. nothing changed. there is still a noise apparently coming from the front driveshft. we can not tell if it is the front differential or the transfer case itself. The noise is being transfer through the front driveshaft. It sounds a bearing is going bad. has anyone else had this problem?

Back