'98 XLT 2wd auto SOHC- how long is the tranny good for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 XLT 2wd auto SOHC- how long is the tranny good for?

c_mccann

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt
I have a stock '98 XLT, 2wd, auto, SOHC 4-door that has been maintained by the books, and driven only by me, very nicely for the past 126,000 miles. Never a problem, but I am wondering what to expect as far as the life expectancy on the vital organs, ie: engine, trans, rear end. I love my ride, but I do not want to replace trannys, etc, I'd just rather sell before that becomes an issue and be committed to big bucks in repairs. The truck is otherwise perfect- perfect black paint, the interior is cherry, the car has been detailed inside and out every 4-5 months and is always parked indoors, so snow driving. My mechanic says at 150k to start worrying about the tranny. Any input?

there is no, oh your tranny will last x.. amount of miles... my mom has a v6 ohv in her 96 and has well over 180k with no problems...

Take a close look/smell of the fluid. If its nice and red and doesn't have a burnt smell its fine. They can last a very long time with no problems or they can go out after the first few years. There is no way to tell how long it will last.

The trans is probably the weakest link. The little V6s are fairly reliable. My old ranger (2.9) has 183,000 and still kicking.

On the other hand, My 98 Sport (now with 131K miles) needed a rebuild at 87K. This was after changing the fluid at 30K intervals and not beating the truck. If you have that many miles on your tranny I think that your lucky.

Back