98FordX24: need to make a gasket for my hood scoop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98FordX24: need to make a gasket for my hood scoop

I have a hood blister off an 83 Mustang GT. It's like a cowl. The back is sorta open but has a fake grille on it that doesnt have any holes in it. I am not making this functional because I really have no use for a functional cowl other than letting heat escape which doesnt really matter to me. This is strictly for looks... just like it was on the Mustang.

Now, on to my question...

I want to totally seal this off so no water or dirt gets under it. I need to know how to make a gasket and what to use. This is being attached to the hood with 6 studs. The holes are being drilled in the hood this weekend and the hood and scoop are being shot the next day, so the holes will have a nice coat of paint on them. I will be sealing around the grille part of it with silicon. I want to use a rubber like gasket to go between the scoop and the hood though. I'm afraid if I use silicon it will eventually fall apart and leak.

Anyone ever done something like this before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to see what it looks like to get a better idea of what I'm talking about there are some pics of the hood blister HERE

use some of that 3M insulation stuff that goes around a door frame. Then co around the edge of your scoop and cut the excess off with a razor and you shouldnt see it at all..just be very careful with the razor of course.

PM me your address. I've got a box full of double sided tape that is used between the bed rails and a topper. It is about an inch to an inch and a half wide, and can be trimmed to fit. I'll send you a couple of rolls...

;)

I agree on the Weather stripping idea

If you go to places like Home Depot or Lowes, they sell rubber weather stripping type stuff that has an adhesive backing. As everybody mentioned, you could simply cut out the right pattern with a razor and you're there.

Or just get a sheet of rubber, put the scoop on it and trace the pattern, then cut it out.

I would use a marine grade silicon sealer ( it won't come off ) , let it cure, and paint .

Good luck.

I would use a marine grade silicon sealer ( it won't come off ) , let it cure, and paint .

Good luck.

So, thats how you're getting all those posts... double posting. ;) Its not getting painted on the hood. I'm having everything painted, then putting it on. I'm not sure if I'm gonna use a gasket or not. I have to see how it all turns out, but I think I will.

Back