• Register Today It's free!

99 EB tranny slip @ shift points

sumdig

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie bauer
I've got a 99 EB only has 72,000 miles and the tranny is begining to slip at the shift points. Hot, cold doesn't seem to make a difference. Any body have any ideas? Seems early for the tranny is quit. My other exlp (98) had 150,000 plus when I got rid of it and never had any tranny isses. Any ideas/ suggestions would help. Thanks fellas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the classic 5r55e valvebody problem ? could be a variety of problems
electrical,pressures,do you HAVE ANY CODES OD LIGHT FLASHING AT YOU? AND WHEN
YOU SAY SHIFT POINTS ARE YOU REFERRING TO EVERY GEAR OR ARE WE TALKING
ABOUT CERTAIN GEARS?
BRAD

The only light that is on is the check engine, no OD. I will be getting the CE codes this weekend. The problem is worse in the low gears and driving easily. If you really get on it, it isn't near as bad and it only occur as the tranny reaches the shift point. Is the 5r55e valvebody problem a common one?

Yours might be as simple as the EPC going bad, and yes, the 5R55E valve body issues are legendary.

Thanks Fellas, Going to change the EPC and bracket tomorrow. Hopefully that does it.

If the solenoid repllcement doesn't fix it, consider doing the VB rebuild, and replace the VB gaskets when you do. The procedure is outlined in the 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary thread in the sticky portion, at the top of this forum.

Will do. Thanks alot. Keep your fingers crossed changing the EPC tonight. How difficult is the VB rebuild? Do you need to be a tranny expert to do it? My buddy (ASE mechanic) and I would be doing it if needed but neither of us is a Tranny expert. Ive looked at the VB rebuild diary, very very well done. Almost makes the VB rebuild look easy (that's what worries me). Thanks again.

It is a very doable DIY fix.

Thanks, Glacier that's good to know. I may eventually have to do that. The EPC looks to have fixed it for now. Shifting is back to normal. My next project will be the 00M12 stuff.

Good news. Glad to hear. I suppose the moral for others is that a) the EPC does tend to go bad in time in these transmissions, and b) often it will show as problems in ALL gears when it does.

Glacier, could you make a troubleshooting chart of solenoid related problems for the A4LD, 4R, and 5R transmissions? That would explain the various symptoms of common transmission problems which are solenoid related.

got the same problem with my 2000 eb explorer only when hot first and second shift point i did change oil, full flush from the oil cooler line,work good for 2 week.

Back