99 XL 3" bodylift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AussieXplorer99

Reaction score
City, State
NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL
Hey guys, this site has been a great resource for anything thats been wrong with my explorer, just got a few questions about a 3" bodylift for the X. The main issue is my X is a manual, dont find much info about manual as they are unpopular.

For what i've read I need the PA 833 kit for the 1999 XL?
Found it on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Accessories-883-Ranger-1998-2000/dp/B0006PXY9S i think that the right one.

Also being a manual transmission a gear shifter extension is required. Amazon suggested this one http://www.amazon.com/Performance-A...xtension/dp/B000N8NDY4/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b is this the right one? Also does the hole in the hole that the shifter goes through need to be widened to accomodate the lift?

Read through ShadowRaven's http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240957 writeup and think i shouldnt have any problems.

and... that should be it :) hopefully. If I have any other questions I'll ask.

Need to see some beefy explorers in Down under! there arent many here and they are all sadly stock. I've done a TT and get the rear leafs reset to match the height. Bodylift is next followed by 32" Maxxis Bighorn muddies :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put the 33" on mate they will fit easily after the body lift

do you think the 33s will be fine without regearing in the manual? ive got 31s nows and the gears are already on the steep side.

Well when I had 33s on it felt that it didn't make much difference to me what it did do though was totally correct my speedo I have the auto so can't comment on the manual sorry man what gears are on it at the Moment.the car comes standard with the 31s and 32s ain't much different surely 33s will
Be fine and look heaps better to.

I have thought about that, bigger tyres will bring the speedo up to normal to correct. All gearing is standard at the moment, so like you said I don't it will make THAT much of a difference.

My question I wanna know is did I list the right gear extender? And will the bodylift work without cutting whole for the gear stick bigger?

If your gear ration is 4.10 or 3.73 you should be fine with 33 as long as you dont mind your truck dogging a little. The truck comes stock with 30s or 29s depending on model of explorer. 31s were never offered stock in this generation. As far as the speedo goes. I jumped up just by one inch in tire size and found that while the speedo says 65mph i was actually doing 72 mph.

I think it should be fine, fairly sure they're the 3.73 gears. Being the OHV im never in a rush to go anywhere. The tyres arent stock ive got 31's on but the all terrains are fairly worn, basically a highway tyre now so its time to upgrade. With the speedo I guess you'll have to figure out how fast you're actually going and then accomodate, right now its about 7 kilometres out, so I drive 7 km/h faster than the limit to do the actual limit, so bigger tyres will help correct this. But i'm not game to do a Body lift without finding out if its fine with the manual transmission first.

Explorer xlt?

Would that kit work for a 99 explorer xlt as well?

Would that kit work for a 99 explorer xlt as well?

that kit should work fine for the 99. with the exception that the bumper brackets need to be modified to work right.

to the op, i would say 4.10s at least for 33s but its kind of a grey area. and i think i read somewhere here once that the shifter will just sit about 3 inches lower but will work.

Back