• Register Today It's free!

A/C orifice tube

Waterboy

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
My A/C compressor froze up just after an A/C shop fixed a leaky seal in a snap fitting (I feel that they might not have added any oil when they charged it up, thus the compressor failure). After spending $180 to repair the leaks, I did not want to pay the same shop $1,100 for replacing the compressor and accumulator. The shop wanted $650 for the new compressor with the clutch (Ford only charges $514). The accumulator was $89 within a few dollars of Ford's price. The rest is labor and 134a freon ('94's came with 134a). I decided to do all of the work myself; I purchased a rebuilt compressor, new accumulator, and orifice tube an A/C oil for $299.65 with a 12-month/unlimited-mileage warranty. I have installed the compressor and accumulator and added the oil to the compressor (turned the compressor by hand more than ten times) and added oil to the accumulator. I purchased the A/C manifold gauges for $79 and am borrowing a suction pump.

I just figured out where the orifice tube is installed. Apparently it requires removing the accumulator to get to the connection that the orifice tube is installed. Does anyone know how important it really is to replace the orifice tube? My Explorer has 128,000 miles.

I highly recommend replacing it. If your compressor froze up there is probably trash in it.

One question..... Why are you letting the first shop off the hook for potentially trashing your A/C? If they didn't add lubricated gas, they ought to be liable.

Sink good point. The compressor lasted 128,000 miles in the Texas heat, so I figured it was probably do to fail. I just suspect the mechanic possibly helped it along, because no oil drained from the compressor or the accumulator when I removed them. I don't feel that I could prove to the mechanic that it was do to an error on his part. It might be that more oil leaked from the high-pressure side then was apparant. I pressure wash my engine every 3-4 months, so there may not have been much evidence to make him believe that it lost much oil during the leak.

I took CHH777's advice and replaced the orifice tube. It had plenty of crud on it. I evacuated the system and charged it up. So far so it is cooling great. The real test will be when we get into the high 90's.

Back