A/C under load switches to defrost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C under load switches to defrost

Roberto Scelza

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
I saw this issue on the older Explorers forum but did not see it here, forgive me if i am duplicating a thread.
On my 2008 Explorer XLT the AC switches from the main vents to the defroster/windshield vents under heavy load, then returns to normal once i am cruising again. Vacuum lines under hood are intact and have good vacuum and i have good vacuum at reservoir tank under the dash/ passenger side, i also removed tank to see if it holds vacuum and it did for the 7 minutes that i had pump connected to it. This is where i stopped. Any help would be appreciated. Other than that the A/C works fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw this issue on the older Explorers forum but did not see it here, forgive me if i am duplicating a thread.
On my 2008 Explorer XLT the AC switches from the main vents to the defroster/windshield vents under heavy load, then returns to normal once i am cruising again. Vacuum lines under hood are intact and have good vacuum and i have good vacuum at reservoir tank under the dash/ passenger side, i also removed tank to see if it holds vacuum and it did for the 7 minutes that i had pump connected to it. This is where i stopped. Any help would be appreciated. Other than that the A/C works fine.
Do a search for ac check valve, that is probably the problem

Thanks!
I just ordered a new 1 from Amazon for only $ 9 and it will be delivered tomorrow, thats quicker than i will be able to check it so i figured i will just swap it out, i will keep you posted.

do you mind sending me a link to the product you ordered from Amazon? searched for one and could not find it. I have a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT.
Thanks

I cant believe a $ 9 part worked but, it solved the problem.
Motorcraft YG360 Vacuum Checking Switch

Thanks Roberto for providing me the link, I appreciate it very much.

Back