A cool idea for a very unique explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A cool idea for a very unique explorer

dylan_133

Reaction score
City, State
Grants Pass, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 explorer EB
i will need a new engine in my explorer soon and i was thinkning of going v8. yet just recently i have thought about goin the other way around with a 2.3l turbo out of a ranger. i know the electrical with the turbo and getting it tuned would be a pain in the a$$ but i am confident im my capability to figure out the mechanical issues. A guy i work with has a 2.3l turbo ranger and he is getting almost 400 hp out of his, but his is a drag truck so i would defintly want a smaller turbo than his which is off of a 5.9 cummins lol i aslo want to put a 5 speed in it. just wondering if anyone has thought about this or has done it. also what do you guys think about it? ya or nay?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am curerently working on swapping a 2.3T/T-5 into my daughters `67 Mustang Coupe.

As well as installing a 5.0L/4R70W into my `92 Explorer.

The problem you will have is WEIGHT.

The 2.3L barely moved the Ranger. The Explorer, depending on it's trim level, can weight 3/4 of a ton MORE than a Ranger.

You will ALWAYS be under boost, using more gas, and having problems controlling your underhood temps...

It's been done before. They pulled it, and went V8.

Ryan

If you're going to go 4 cylinder and turbo, it better run on diesel. Like others have said, you'll be disappointed with how little torque you're going to have off the line. A diesel would be a fun, challenging swap.

thanks for the info, i dont plan to keep the engine stock at all the guy i work with run 25lbs of boost and his engine is making almost 400hp with 400ft lbs of tourqe. i prfer working on 4 cyl than v8 but there is defintly some pretty big opsticle to over come.

diesel would be a very fun swap to do plus the sounds of a deisel in an ex would be very awsome. what would be a good diesel to look for?

Did you forget to add the link?

Ryan

Back