• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Issues

Bublaw

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I purchases a 1994 Explorer XLT back in January with 84K original miles, one owner. It had only been driven 20K during the past 15 years or so. I know the owner changed the oil regularly from CarFax but am unsure what other maintenance has been done. I have replaced the shocks and fixed the power windows. Since January, I have driven it 3000 miles or so including a trip to the mountains of NC towing a small camper which weighs approximately 1000 lbs. with no problems. The truck runs cold according to the temp. gauge and I assume the thermostat may be stuck open.

On Wednesday, I drove the truck to Conway SC and back, about a 150 mile roundtrip. It was 105 degrees here in SC so the AC blasted the whole trip. A few miles from home, I hit a large hole in the road hard enough that my head hit the roof and continued home. I went back out a few minutes later and started having transmission problems, the truck hesitated shifting and the transmission was slipping so I limped back home, probably less than a mile. I checked the fluid which didn't register on the dipstick. I noticed a large stain on the driveway. I added fluid and the truck shifted normally but it again leaked out.

Yesterday, I lifted the truck on jack stands and transmission fluid was everywhere. I cleaned it up and ran the truck a little while but it did not leak. Drove it this morning for 4 or 5 miles and it shifted normally. There appears to be a leak where the transmission bolts into the engine. I assume there is some seal there that may be bad. I read threads and it appears the transmission needs to come out to fix this issue if this is the problem. Is it worth trying those transmission leak sealers? I paid $1300 for the truck and don't want to sink more than that into it. I have enough money pits. Could the excessive heat have caused the tranny to overheat and blow the seal? Could hitting the hole have flexed the tranny enough to dump the fluid? I think I can handle a filter and fluid change but am unsure of my ability to do extensive transmission work. i am a lawyer wannabe mechanic. Any help would be appreciated.

Back