• Register Today It's free!

Active Park Assist

kabiblueline

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Does anyone use - or at least tried the Active Park Assist?
We picked up our White Plat. Limited last night.
I was just showing it to all the guys at work, and they wanted to try it. (Well, really I wanted to...) So we moved a couple cars out in the back of are parking lot to setup a perfect space to park in, but I couldn't ever get it to work.

I pulled up behind the rear vehicle, pressed the ParkAssist button, screen show searching for space on right. Then I drove slowly, past the rear vehicle, past the space, and past the front vehicle ( pausing most times when the back of the Ex was close to where I would normally start to park.).
Never did I get an indication of "Space found" I tried going different speeds, different distances from the parked vehicles... nothing...

Anybody have tips on how to make it work?

I just watched the youtube video - that makes it look like you pull up to about where you start a normal, manual park - then press the button.
I never tried that. Is that the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This system is supposed to be miles better than the original that Lexus had on the LS400, but I've not had seen it in action. Would be very interested.

kabiblueline, congrats on the new X! You were probably too far from the vehicles. I have used it a bunch of times and it works perfectly. However, there was this one time I was showing off to friends and AP wouldn't work. I went around the block three times before I realized I was too far away from the cars for the system to sense properly. It worked when I got closer.

JRRF, the system IS INDEED miles better than Lexus. I am BLOWN AWAY every time I use it. You literally push the button, find the spot, and in a few seconds you're parked! :D

Does it control throttle and steering, or only steering? How about going from P to R to P?

It controls acceleration and steering. You keep your foot on the brake and shift gears.

It controls acceleration and steering. You keep your foot on the brake and shift gears.

You say you need to keep your foot on the brake, does it stop before you tap the guy behind you? Does it tell you when to shift? Does it tell you when it's done?

Youtube it. There are several videos that sho what happens. You need to put your foot on the brake and put it in reverse when its backing up then you need to apply the brake before you run into the person behind you Then you need to put it in drive and move forward. It will then tell you its finished and you put it in park. The wheel moves by it self. You control all shifting and braking. It will tell you when to put it in drive.

Youtube it. There are several videos that sho what happens. You need to put your foot on the brake and put it in reverse when its backing up then you need to apply the brake before you run into the person behind you Then you need to put it in drive and move forward. It will then tell you its finished and you put it in park. The wheel moves by it self. You control all shifting and braking. It will tell you when to put it in drive.

Thanks. For some reason I thought maybe it did the stopping by using the backup sensors to know when it was "close enough".

I believe you need to use the turn single to the side that you planning on parallel parking for it to activate I thought.

Just a assumption.

Just to clarify. I am talking about the start of the parking process, where it notifies you "Found a parking space". All of the brake, accelerator, steering and shifting control happens after that. I'm not even getting that far.
I'm pressing the ParkAssist button and driving slowly by the space, and it never chimes in that it has identified a valid space.

We've tried making the space bigger, and I tried several attempts with different spacing between my Ex and the other vehicles - maybe I never got close enough as mentioend above. I'll have to try again.

The manual indicates I need to be within 60 inches. I'm sure I was at least that close, but it is worth another try.

I've watched the youtube stuff many times and I think I am doing everything I see.

baxterdown-

Do you always activate it after you have passed the space? or do you activate it and then drive past the space?

I've tried both now and I still get nothing.

I believe you need to use the turn single to the side that you planning on parallel parking for it to activate I thought.

Just a assumption.

I do hear the turn signal in this video demonstration.

~Mark

The turn signal only needs to be on if you are trying to park on the left.
It defaults to the right side.
It tells you on the main screen which side it is searching for a space.

(In any event, I've tried it from both directions, with and without the turn signal, still nothing.)

I have used the park assist twice, just to try it out.

Found the parking spot, and worked great both times.

Do you always activate it after you have passed the space? or do you activate it and then drive past the space

I press the button way before I ever come close to the parking spot... I usually press it like the block before.

I've used it as well 3 times and worked every time. The car never controls the speed of the vehicle, you are always in control of the gas/brake. The park assist only controls the steering.

Push the button as you approach the car before the space, ride the brake until you are even with the car in the front of the empty space.. by that time it should show you the green checkmark and that it found the space. Put it in reverse and ride the brake back. Once you are in the space, stop, put the vehicle in drive and it will steer into the space to straighten the car out.

I've never had it tell me to stop backing up once I was in the space. It may, but I was never willing to find out by tapping the guys bumper behind me.

At this point, I am pretty sure there is a problem with mine.
I've tried many different things and never gotten the green check mark.

I'll have to see what the dealer says about it.

I realized I never updated this thread. (Thanks for everyone's help!)

Turns out my system was not operational.
My steering wheel sensor was not calibrated properly. One clue was that the guidelines in the reverse camera were not aligned with the steering wheel. (i.e. - the wheel would be straight, but the guidelines would show that the car was turning to the left)

Good thing it didn't try to park with the sensor misaligned!
Anyway, they took of the steering wheel, reset the position sensor, and now everything works great!

Back