Adding foot operated liftgate feature | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding foot operated liftgate feature

dickmoritz

Reaction score
City, State
philly ' burbs PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 XLT
New member here. I have a 2018 Explorer XLT. It has a power liftgate. According to the literature, Equipment Group 201A includes a foot-operated power liftgate. According to the literature, Equipment Group 202A includes everything in 201A plus more. I have the original window sticker for my car and my car is equipped with 202A. It has a power liftgate but does not include the foot operating feature, nor does it have the sensors for this feature.

I would like to add foot activation to my car. I have been to several Ford dealers asking what it would take to add this feature, like sensors, module, software, etc. These dealers have just blown me off, apparently they don't want to be bothered researching this possibility.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to add this feature, or how to get in touch with someone at Ford Motor Company who is actually familiar with these systems and can help?

Appreciate any help...

Dick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I just checked the 2018 Order Guide and there is no mention of the XLT having a Hands-Free, Foot Operated Liftgate. It becomes available in the Limited.
As for the dealers, I don't believe that they are usually in business to 'modify' vehicles. That would be more of a job for an independent garage of companies dealing with that sort of thing. I have no idea what would be involved since so many electronic features are so integrated with other circuits these days.

Peter

My 2016 XLT has the foot feature on the lift gate.
But don’t ask me the Group#

My 19 has it, I could take it or leave it. It's finicky and works half the time, usually when you not trying.

I have a 2018 Explorer XLT with 202A (bought used) and it does not have the foot activated lift gate. Looking at 2018 literature, it doesn't even show as an optional for an Explorer and certainly isn't part of 201A package. Maybe you were looking at a different year?

Explorere 201A package (2018).JPG 2018 Explorere lift gate options.JPG

Thanks for the replies. Checking back, I was looking at a brochure for an earlier model which did show this feature included in 202A. I'd still like to add this feature if there's a way.

Appreciate the input...

Dick

I have a 2018 Explorer XLT with 202A (bought used) and it does not have the foot activated lift gate. Looking at 2018 literature, it doesn't even show as an optional for an Explorer and certainly isn't part of 201A package. Maybe you were looking at a different year?

View attachment 429034 View attachment 429035

A dealer won't add this because its not an approved Ford add on, not to mention most dealers won't have a tech that is smart enough the handle the programming that is needed for it. Im sure it can be added, but you have to determine all the parts that are needed (is there additional wiring and such besides the actual sensors and electronic control module for it and then figure out if any programming has to be done. If someone has already done it and can chime in, that would be great but I haven't heard of anyone adding it.

We have it on our 2018 Explorer Sport. I think I would start by checking a salvage yard for the parts off a wrecked car. I don't see why it couldn't be added but I'll also tell you ours doesn't work all the time, or I'm just not waving my shoe under it correctly.

We have it on our 2018 Explorer Sport. I think I would start by checking a salvage yard for the parts off a wrecked car. I don't see why it couldn't be added but I'll also tell you ours doesn't work all the time, or I'm just not waving my shoe under it correctly.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The 2011 Explorer doesn't have the foot-activated liftgate feature. Have you changed vehicles?

Peter

"The 2011 Explorer doesn't have the foot-activated liftgate feature. Have you changed vehicles?"

Yes, traded for 2018 Sport. I will change that in my profile

The procedure is a "kicking" motion. In and out. Not a waving-type motion. Perhaps that is why it only works part of the time. It also depends upon whether you have a trailer hitch as to where you "kick".

Peter

Back