After purchase hitch install: OEM Hitch or Drawtite | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After purchase hitch install: OEM Hitch or Drawtite

Paul S

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I have a question for those of you who have 2016-2017 Explorer, did NOT have the tow package already installed on your explorer, but later installed a tow hitch. How many of you went for the OEM factory hitch option with bezel: Trailer Hitch | The Official Site for Ford Accessories (Remember this kit is not as nice as the one for a 2015, given it has no cover for the hitch area, only a bezel to dress up the cutout, still leaving the hitch exposed) OR the standard aftermarket class III hitch by Drawtite etc.. ? Which of the two seems to look the best in your opinion? I cannot make up my mind and as they are close enough in price for me, I am just looking for other opinions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Paul.:wave:
That really isn't the same as the OEM hitch. It is a Ford aftermarket hitch and as such the Explorer will only be rated to tow 2000 lbs. There are several threads on aftermarket hitches that you can find using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right). Those Explorers with the OEM hitch also have other factory installed items that allow the tow rating to be 5000 lbs.

Peter

Curt 13100 and the harness/plug are your cheapest option - IIRC, mine was <$150. Installation takes about a half hour - no cutting or modifications. Receiver is exposed just below bumper. How they look are one of the last things I'm worried about. I put the hitch on mine to use and any hitch that is used is going to eventually rust. I know a few people that are bothered by this stuff and they mask off around their hitch (or remove it) and re-paint it as necessary to make sure it always looks like new....

Curt 13100 and the harness/plug are your cheapest option - IIRC, mine was <$150. Installation takes about a half hour - no cutting or modifications. Receiver is exposed just below bumper. How they look are one of the last things I'm worried about. I put the hitch on mine to use and any hitch that is used is going to eventually rust. I know a few people that are bothered by this stuff and they mask off around their hitch (or remove it) and re-paint it as necessary to make sure it always looks like new....
Draw tite has some better features- larger chain loops, place to mount 4 pin connector. etc.. With a newer vehicle I tend to be picky about looks then 5 years in, I more or less have your attitude. I liked the way the factory installed hitch has a cover, but very hard to find all wanted features in a used car at once.

Welcome to the Forum Paul.:wave:
That really isn't the same as the OEM hitch. It is a Ford aftermarket hitch and as such the Explorer will only be rated to tow 2000 lbs. There are several threads on aftermarket hitches that you can find using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right). Those Explorers with the OEM hitch also have other factory installed items that allow the tow rating to be 5000 lbs.

Peter
Thanks Peter, good distinction, OM hitch without being OEM. However I believe the hitch receiver is class III,it has a 2 inch receiver, just that ford will not list it that way given it expects all elements of the tow package to be in place. At any rate there is a product number for the class III hitch but it looks exactly the same in the pics as far as I could tell. I am familiar with the other elements of the tow package- oil cooler etc.. For sure, a lot of things need to be in place when you are towing that heavy.

Back