Aftermarket radiator afterthoughts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket radiator afterthoughts

Kavlainc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 4.0 XLT
Just some thoughts after replacing a leaking radiator.

I got the radiator at proradiators from Ebay for 105.70. It came with a 1 year warranty. I've spent about 2-3 hours removing the old radiator. And that's when the fun started. The brackets that hold the radiator would not fit the new radiator. I've taken some measurements and sure enough the new radiator did not have the exact dimensions of the old one. After spending couple of hours of trying to force the brackets on to the radiator, I called Radiators.com and got a local distribution center number. After some haggling, the price of an OE Visteon radiator came out to be 243.80. The radiator also comes with a lifetime warranty. It was delivered to me free of charge the next morning and it was very easy to put everything back together. Called up the proradiators from Ebay and got them to give me a full refund for their radiator with a prepaid label to ship it back. It's been a couple of hundred miles since, the radiator is holding up great.

If anybody needs the radiator replaced, I would really recommend you do it yourself, as the job is not that hard. The only thing to watch out for is which radiator you're putting in.

Back