• Register Today It's free!

alarm issue

thor1701

Reaction score
City, State
fresno ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
ok i found out tonight i do have an alarm....no idea how, it just decided to go off after i locked the truck, left it for a few moments, my daughter opened up the back glass, and next thing it starts honking and flashing its lights, i've had this truck for 2 or so weeks and its never done anything like this, the "theft" light's been on before, i've never messed with the keyless entry thing yet, just used the key, it never came with any remotes or anything, how do i find where the alarm is and get new remotes? also is it working right? as this is the first time it made any type of noise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok i found out tonight i do have an alarm....no idea how, it just decided to go off after i locked the truck, left it for a few moments, my daughter opened up the back glass, and next thing it starts honking and flashing its lights, i've had this truck for 2 or so weeks and its never done anything like this, the "theft" light's been on before, i've never messed with the keyless entry thing yet, just used the key, it never came with any remotes or anything, how do i find where the alarm is and get new remotes? also is it working right? as this is the first time it made any type of noise?

That sounds like what is supposed to happen. How did she open back glass after you locked truck?? Sounds like rear glass lock might not be working. Locking and unlocking with the key arms/disarms the alarm system just like a remote does. If that is original Ford alarm, all you should need is to get a remote.

well i never lock the truck with the key, i always use the button on the door to lock everything, tho the back lock doesnt auto lock, but when she opened it, the back was unlocked while the other doors were locked, only way i turned it off was stick the key in the drivers door and unlocked it
ford says there wasnt a factory alarm other then the theft thing with the keyless entry, i wouldnt know where to go to get replacement reomtes

If its an aftermarket alarm it will be under the dash behind the knee bolster. Pull the plastic trim below the column and then pull the metal shield. Once that is open look for a small black or gray box. It should be tied into the door lock and interior light circuits. It really shouldn't arm itself, but mine has passively armed before. Once you find it get the manufacturer and model # and find them online. You should be able to order remotes or find a local distributor.

i'll look into it tomorrow and hopefuly i'll find something

On a side note, 1 of my friends bought a Dodge pick up. The dealer didn't mention anything about any alarm so my buddy, after owning the truck for about 2 months asked me to install a new stereo. When I pulled the dash apart to run some wiring I found the control module for a remote start and alarm system. I got the name and model # and our local shop got him the remotes and programmed them. So you might actually luck out.

well i never lock the truck with the key, i always use the button on the door to lock everything, tho the back lock doesnt auto lock, but when she opened it, the back was unlocked while the other doors were locked, only way i turned it off was stick the key in the drivers door and unlocked it
ford says there wasnt a factory alarm other then the theft thing with the keyless entry, i wouldnt know where to go to get replacement reomtes

The "theft thing" is the factory alarm system. Yours works just like mine - using the door lock button, remote, key pad on drivers door, or the key in the lock all set the alarm system. If it goes off, you need to use either a remote or the key to silence it. Sounds like you have a problem with the rear hatch not locking no matter how you lock the truck.
Remotes are readily available over the internet and ususally come with instructions on how to "mate" them to your existing system.

PS: Open the compartment in the drivers side rear and look forward. You should see a silver box - that is the RAP (Remote Access Personality) module that runs the keyless entry - I think all EBs had keyless.

ok i didnt see anything out of the norm, i did find a green button tho, was attached to the lower part of the dash that i took off, never noticed it there befor, anyways played with it alittle, didnt do anything, tho when the truck was running, it made the truck rev ever so slightly when the green light flashed, so i have no idea wtf that is, i've put a few pics to show

DSC00838.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

Hey thor, what is that switch for? The reason I ask is that it's spliced into the ignition harness. Probably a constant 12v wire but that is kind of an odd place to pull power from. That has nothing to do with your issue, I was just curious. If there isn't an aftermarket alarm I'm not sure what you've got going on. It might be like bobflood stated, because the back hatch isn't locking it's triggering the factory system.

thats the thing im asking, i have no idea what that switch is for, other then when i have the truck running, and i switch it, the idle goes up and down like a pulse every time the green light blinks
ford told me it didnt come with a factory alarm, other then the "theft" thing and keyless entry, but that wouldnt explain the honking and lights flashing, im thinking the back auto lock doesnt work, i'll have to look into replacing it eventualy

thats the thing im asking, i have no idea what that switch is for, other then when i have the truck running, and i switch it, the idle goes up and down like a pulse every time the green light blinks
ford told me it didnt come with a factory alarm, other then the "theft" thing and keyless entry, but that wouldnt explain the honking and lights flashing, im thinking the back auto lock doesnt work, i'll have to look into replacing it eventualy

Thor: Don't know anything about the switch with the blinking green light.
However, I believe your vehicle does have a "factory" alarm system, because it sounds just it works just like mine. Here is what is suposed to happen:
- If you lock up with either the door lock button, the key or a remote, the Theft light will light up. After 30 seconds, it will start to flash. At that point the system is armed.
- If you unlock with the key or a remote, the theft system will disarm and nothing happens.
- If you open a door, back window, hatch (and maybe hood) without disarming, the system will flash the lights, sound the horn , and immobilize the vehicle (think it kills the starter or fuel pump). This is what happened when your daughter opened the back window.
- Flashing lights and horn stop after 3 minutes; however, vehicle stays immobilized until system is disarmed.
- Turning the key in the lock or unlocking with a remote disarms the system.

You can verify this. Roll down drivers side window, then lock truck with the key. Wait until Theft light starts flashing, then reach in window and use inside handle to open door. Flashing/honking shoud ensue. Truck should not start. Use key in drivers lock to shut off.

Hope this helps. BTW, do you have a keypad on your door? If you do, 5 digit code to unlock is on the RAP module. You can lock vehicle by pressing 7/8 and 9/0 button simultaneously.

well i finaly fixed my alarm issue, i bought a replacement clicker off ebay and and programed it, man my horn is very loud lol thankfuly it works now, tho i STILL dont know WTF the little green light switch is, all i know is it stays on, and when i switch it while the truck is running, it flashes and with each flash, the idle pulsates ever so slightly, so i just leave it alone

Back