Alarm Problems

Josh C.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Live in: Santa Ana, CA - - - From: Oshawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mounty v8 AWD
So I need to disable the stock alarm system on a 1998 Mounty. My alarm will randomly go off for no reason....horns blaring and lights flashing. To combat this Ive just had my horn unhooked for years. My daughter is gonna start driving this soon and I need to know if there is a way to disable the alarm system. If it matters I do not use/have the key fobs any more. How do I go about this. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s almost surely a bad door switch, or a broken wire, most likely in the drivers door. You could fix the issue, or bypass the sensors that tell it the door is ajar. Best to keep the drivers door if you can, so the key chime and lights on warning still work.

I wouldn’t put my kid in a car with a disabled horn. It’s a safety item, and shouldn’t be compromised.

It’s almost surely a bad door switch, or a broken wire, most likely in the drivers door. You could fix the issue, or bypass the sensors that tell it the door is ajar. Best to keep the drivers door if you can, so the key chime and lights on warning still work.

I wouldn’t put my kid in a car with a disabled horn. It’s a safety item, and shouldn’t be compromised.
Door switch is good I think because cabin light turns on when when door is open and the open door light is on the dash. I check the wiring that goes into the door to see if any are broken. Battery is also good

I wouldnt put my kid in a vehicle that has no horn either hence the wanting to get it the horn working again

In the past, my alarm started going off for no apparent reason. Installed a new battery under the hood, and never had it happen again…

In the past, my alarm started going off for no apparent reason. Installed a new battery under the hood, and never had it happen again…
I think I saw a post of your mentioning this. I have many batteries in over the years of owning it and its done it through all those batteries....but, it could have been happening when those batteries were going bad??? The battery I have right now is brand new

I think I saw a post of your mentioning this. I have many batteries in over the years of owning it and its done it through all those batteries....but, it could have been happening when those batteries were going bad??? The battery I have right now is brand new

I dunno. The replacement battery was replaced, due to age, within the past year, I think. No issues with the current battery either.

Back