• Register Today It's free!

Align Steering wheel

spdy0001

Reaction score
City, State
New Cumberland / PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Sport / 5 speed
Ok so a while ago I had to replace the steering box. This was not to bad, and was fairly cheap from the local junk yard. However after I was done I realized that my steering wheel is now "pointed" to the 1 or 2 olclock position. This doesn't really bother me but im looking to sell my X very soon and I would like to fix it before then.

Instead of having to remove the shaft from the box and move it a few splines around can I just remove the wheel and put it on straight? I know my dad has a wheel puller and he says he has removed wheels from other vehicles. Can it be this easy?

Thanks guys

The pitman arm and box on my '92 X were keyed.. the arm would only go on one way (couldn't rotate it).. You can rotate the steering wheel (at least on my '92 I could)..

Normally, the correct way to move the steering wheel is to adjust the tie rod ends.. (you adjust both sides, the same direction, same amount to move the steering wheel w/out messing up the allignment).

~Mark

The pitman arm and box on my '92 X were keyed.. the arm would only go on one way (couldn't rotate it).. You can rotate the steering wheel (at least on my '92 I could)..

Normally, the correct way to move the steering wheel is to adjust the tie rod ends.. (you adjust both sides, the same direction, same amount to move the steering wheel w/out messing up the allignment).

~Mark

Well since I got a junk yark box it came with the pitman arm attached so when I mounted the new box I just attached the drag link to the pitman arm. Then I put the steering shaft into the box and was done. So im guessing I probably need to get an alignment to get this fixed. Oh well im not gonna pay for that. Ill just sell as is, cause she isn't in the greatest shape as is. Some one will probably pick the X up for some 4wheelin anyway and won't care.

Thanks

Back