• Register Today It's free!

Amp bypass... beaten to death...

jwild4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
In searching the forum, the factory amplifier bypass topic has been beaten like a dead horse. The fact is, the information is somtimes contradictory... For example: Is there a bypass harness for a 95 sport with the premium sound system?? Some say yes, others say no... I think that the amplifier bypass topic would be well suited to join the Refernece post at the top of this forum! It would be nice to compile the info from different years and different sound systems so that people can easily get the answers they're looking for. I have not bypassed my amp, so I can't lend much advice, but I think it would probably be a well appreciated resource. Just my .02.

Rock on!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if you want my opinion, I'd just tear off the back pannel adn start cutting wires until somthing happened. J/k

Amp Bypass again

I just purchased a Pioneer DEH-740MP and want to install it in my 96 Explorer. I determined that I have the external amp in the rear cargo area, so Saturday I went to Car Toys and told them I needed an amp bypass harness for my vehicle. Tonight I removed the trim panel and got to the amp (it was not as bad as I thought it would be), and discovered that the harness I was sold will not work. The amp has a small square plug and a large rectangular plug, but the bypass harness I purchased has two of the larger rectangular plugs. Anyone else run into this? I looked around on the net and every amp bypass harness I see looks like the one I was sold. Where can I get the right one? I would appreciate any and all replies about this.

Thanks,
Dave

Originally posted by nonameputs
Well if you want my opinion, I'd just tear off the back pannel adn start cutting wires until somthing happened. J/k

Thats what I did, it works great! :D

Re: Amp Bypass again

Originally posted by ddcrawford
I just purchased a Pioneer DEH-740MP and want to install it in my 96 Explorer. I determined that I have the external amp in the rear cargo area, so Saturday I went to Car Toys and told them I needed an amp bypass harness for my vehicle. Tonight I removed the trim panel and got to the amp (it was not as bad as I thought it would be), and discovered that the harness I was sold will not work. The amp has a small square plug and a large rectangular plug, but the bypass harness I purchased has two of the larger rectangular plugs. Anyone else run into this? I looked around on the net and every amp bypass harness I see looks like the one I was sold. Where can I get the right one? I would appreciate any and all replies about this.

Thanks,
Dave

my problem as well

someone help us

Well i bypassed my amp by having someone ruin it. Funny story actully.
Went to Ultimate Electronics and bought a Sony HU and had them install it. Got in my car after they did and BOOM! There goes my factory amp along with my factory speakers. Give it back to them and they tell me i needed to bypass my amp and that it was MY fault that I didnt bypass it. Well i didnt ven know i had one so i argues with them for about 1 hour and finally got them to bypass my amp for free. Well what i didnt relize is that the stupid person working on my car didnt totally bypass it which ran me into even more problems down the road. Like $280 amp being blown for no reason other then that.

So now that my story is over here is my advice, get someone that knows what they are doing and have them bypass it for you. After alot of money i figured that one out!

scoshe connectors helped

i just recently bought two explorers: one is a 94XLT, and the other is a 92 eddie bauer. i am a self-proclaimed audiophile, so i almost always rip out the stock system and toss in a new hu at least. well i found the same problem you guys had when i tried installing a pyramid hu in the xlt. i had gotten a wiring kit which had two rectangular connectors and my car had a square and a rectangular connector. so, like an idiot, i cut open the square connector hoping to find speaker wires in there. little did i know that was the premium amp connector, so i spent the rest of the day ripping off my door panels to find out what color codes the factory speakers were(my shop manual had all the WRONG color codes) and i just spliced the wires directly from the new hu directly to the speakers. what a pain in the a*$. it took me all day. so, when i got my eddie bauer, i thought there has to be a better way. i thought i was gonna have to goto crutchfield.com and order a stereo bypass kit like was mentioned in previous posts. but, as luck would have it, i bought the wiring kit for my stereo from meijer. well, it turns out there is a kit from a company called scoshe that sells kits for fords with premium sound. it set me back a shopping $8 and came with the power harness as well. the ONLY problem i have had with it is since it is using low-level input, the volume control is really sensitive, but its really not that big a deal. another plus of this was i had to only take off my dashboard trim panel and not mess with the cargo trim panel. hope that helps.
gilbert

I have never posted any thing in the quick ref. since there are too many different amps and not all explorers have amps. belive it or not I found one that didnt have the amp (but they are very rare).

Back