an inch and a half enough for 31" tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

an inch and a half enough for 31" tires?

NickD

Reaction score
Will the inch and 1/2 lift by shackels give my 93 EB (currently under factory susp.) enough lift to put 31" or 32" BFG tires on? I cant afford a susp lift right now but need big enough tires for the lift later. any help would be appreciated

------------------
93EB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Nick,
It's not the rear you have to worry about. It's the front, because the wheels in front turn, and the back wheels don't. Most likely you shouldn't have a problem, but I would suggest that you go to a shop and try one on the front. then, at full turn have the tire picked up to full compression and see if it rubs or hits anywhere. Repeat the procedure again with the wheel in the opposite direction. Most good tire shops will do this.
I don't really think you will be able to fit 32's stock. Why not buy the lift kit first? your looking a almost $500 bucks for 5 tires, yes you need to change the spare also. $150 to $200 more and there's you lift kit. Dead Link Removed Just my $.02
Oh! one more thing. If you lift now, then you'll be able to go 33's and not have to buy tires, but once. Dead Link Removed
------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 09-03-1999).]

Hi Nick-I have a '91XLT with stock suspension except for the Rancho RS5000s all around. I was running 30's with no problems at all. I recently had 31's installed and everything works fine. I took them on some pretty major bumps with no problems. You might take Ray's suggestion and go to a tire shop and have them install 31's and try them out since I've heard that some early models do have some tire rub when running 31's on the stock suspension. I think 32's might be a problem on the front end.

I have yet another question then. Will shackles only lift the rear because I dont have any on the front, or is it different than the back? I think I have been confused with what shackles do to an explorer, they only lift the back, is that right?

------------------
93EB

Yes, they will only lift the rear end by half the length of the shackle.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Back