Another Newbie | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Newbie

chinks

Reaction score
City, State
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello All, I posted this a couple of days ago but it ended up in the US of A forum...ooops
So redoing and hope it gets into the UK forum

My first post to say hello and explain how I got here. Hope I'm not writing too much and boring everyone, or being inappropriate

As a Caravanner I need a big towcar (for you caravaners - twin axle Fleetwood Heritage) and have been towing with, dare I say this, Landrovers (Discoveries and RR Sports)

At the beginning of the year when the economic crisis started to bite I decided to sell the RRS. The reality is we only used it for towing 4 weeks a year (2,000 miles or so) so it was total overkill.

So needing a towcar (that could sit on the drive for 48 weeks of the year) I looked long and hard for a cheap replacement and the Explorer came onto the radar. After viewing lots of vehicles, (LR, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi etc etc, I realised there is some, expensive, rubbish out there) i finally bought my new towcar:-
1997 Explorer in Green/grey, 79,034 miles, Full leather, Roof bars, towbar, 4 new tyres, Alloys, cruise, all electric, body good (small dent NSF door) and everything works!
And the price - £480
NO BRAINER!!
The only problem - wife and kids! - not happy.
So got them in the car and got the wife to drive it. She loved it, well impressed, it does drive like a new car, no rattles, steering wander or other horrible stuff you could expect with a 12 year old car
So I'm quite excited by my new project of keeping the Explorer ship shape and doing the bits and pieces to make her even better.
FIRST JOB - whats the thing with the rear bumber??, mine is rusting through. Is there an aftermarket replacement rather than buying a used one off ebay??
Do the newer model bumpers fit, i.e the full plastic ones to replace the chrome one??
So thats my first post hope it wasn't wrong
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ello mate ans welcome- happy you have bought an Ex. Yes they are fantAstic cars but I don't know about plastic replacement bumpers. I used to own a 98xlt and now a northface the rear bumpers are both metal just my norhface is colour coded. Mine is rusting around the lights as yours may be too. I will get to that soon by cutting the rust out, using fine mesh and filler then matching the paint...... I may even move the lights or change them for some from another type of car that I like the look of! May as well as I will be shaping around a hole! May make a nice weekend project- you may be lucky and get an xlt bumper with no rust it's still possible. Good luck and look in often on us mate!

Welcome Chinks
You could look into getting it re crome'd
Sounds like a bargain tho

hello ,glad you like it ,youll be one of a few trucks towing a caravan without the arse sagging .

Back