ANOTHER Parasitic Draw with a twist | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ANOTHER Parasitic Draw with a twist

CaptronNZ

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LS
09 AWD Explorer with tow option with 2.2A parasitic draw.

Tested draw with ammeter. It seems to come from Alternator, replaced no difference.
Pulled every fuse in fuse box under hood and inside cab, no difference.
Separated power + wires at fuse box under hood, seems to be coming via cable to starter and beyond.
all known draws eliminated such as doors and lights glove box etc

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Welcome to the forum.

Some things I don't understand... How did it seem to come from alternator? If you measured 2.2A on the alternator cable to battery with engine off, and replaced alternator but "replaced no difference" means it still has 2.2A on alternator cable with engine off, then your replacement alternator is bad.

With everything else fused besides the starter, pulling all fuses means it can only be a short in the wiring to the fuse boxes, or within the fuse box itself, or wire to or the starter itself.

What does "and beyond" mean? AFAIK, battery cable to starter goes nowhere else beyond.

Welcome to the forum.

Some things I don't understand... How did it seem to come from alternator? If you measured 2.2A on the alternator cable to battery with engine off, and replaced alternator but "replaced no difference" means it still has 2.2A on alternator cable with engine off, then your replacement alternator is bad.

With everything else fused besides the starter, pulling all fuses means it can only be a short in the wiring to the fuse boxes, or within the fuse box itself, or wire to or the starter itself.

What does "and beyond" mean? AFAIK, battery cable to starter goes nowhere else beyond.
Greetings G C Thanks for your feedback.

I disconnected the leads at the fuse box next to the battery and the 2.2A draw appeared to come from the cable to the Alternator. I replaced the alternator thinking it seemed like one of diodes failed as its happened to me before on a GM. Replacing the Alternator with a tested rebuilt. did not help, I was V/disappointed and did not yet test if that main cable still has the draw, but will shortly.
And beyond meant beyond the point tested.
By individually testing the cables all separated at that point and all fuses I thought at the time I had it sorted as removing the main cables effectively isolated even the fuse box.

Back