ANSWERED: New fan but no heat or A/C @ ANY vents | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ANSWERED: New fan but no heat or A/C @ ANY vents

SteveKieran

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer EdBaur
I'm stumped. My blower fan worked intermittently, so I replaced it and the fan resistor in my 2001 Explorer. Now when the fan is on, I have no air pressure at any of the interior vents. No defrost, panel or floor. All worked fine before the fan/resistor changeout.

Good news is that there's faint heat when heat is on, and faint cooling when A/C is on. So temp controls seem to work fine. Also, the recirculation door behind glovebox opens & closes fine. And I can see (or feel) 2 other actuators behind dash opening and closing with no loose arms or parts, and no clicking or sucking noises.

So my thoughts have been: 1) look for failed vacuum lines near area of fan--hey, I could have pinched one! But found nothing. 2) Pulled out fan & examined--it spins CCW at all 3 speeds. 3) Listened for hissing lines or Click Click under dash--nothing. 4) Logic says that if any of the vacuum actuators have failed, its related door will be open for either cooling or heating, even if it's to the wrong vent...and that's better than what I have now (no blowing air at any vent).

Your theories are appreciated!

Is your fan running the right direction when hooked up to the vehicle? If the lead wires got swapped around it could be running backwards. Arne.

Kudos to Arne13! 50 people read the post and you're the only one who answered. :thumbsup: I stumbled onto the same answer (accidentally, so not as impressive). I had removed the fan and held it in hand, and spun it in both directions. Only CW moved air outward. So as seen thru the open glovebox door, and thru the open recirc door, the fan must be turning Clockwise to throw off air.

The problem is that many new fans are factory set to spin CCW. But that motor can run either direction, so the leads are also designed to easily switch places and thus change the spin direction. So just reverse 'em to get a full-force fan again.

Glad you found the problem. Little things like that can drive you nuts. Arne.

Back