Anti Theft Module Trouble, 1994 Explorer Ltd | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anti Theft Module Trouble, 1994 Explorer Ltd

As an example I have a bad anti-theft door switch.

It stays "closed" when I use the key instead of the fob to unlock the drivers door, as soon as I pull open the door the alarm goes off. (anti-theft triggered)

If I try to start it no-go.

I have used the first method several times to get the no-start cleared.

Now that everything is in order I can just silence the alarm with the remote get in close the door lock it. Do the turn key on and off bit and away we go.

Haven't fixed it yet just because I know the work-around and I never use the key to get in anymore. If I need to I just open the passenger door and hit the switch to pop all the rest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They say when we get older the our memory is the 1st thing to go... I can't remember what the 2nd thing was, but the 1st thing was our memory... Thanks so much! Can't wait to try this, but I may have to wait until tomorrow as mechanic is out ill today. Probably back here late tomorrow or Saturday. This sure makes a lot of sense !

FR-425, I have to believe my mechanic has no clue at all about what he's doing. He's put it off and claimed to have tried your method on Saturday to no avail. He said he disconnected the battery for the weekend and will try it today (Monday). He was thinking of replacing the PCM with a PCM that does not have Anti-Theft... do you think this would work? This is turning into the worst vehicle he has worked on...

I think he's become fixated on the anti-theft as the problem and has stopped actually trouble shooting the problem.

It happens, pilots have crashed planes because they loose sight of the big picture they've become fixated on the minor problem and begin to ignore everything else.

I don't know what to tell you except that your mechanic is in over his head on this one and is having trouble admitting defeat.

Thank him kindly and get it to someone else.

It's not an easy situation. Ford does not print a manual "how to defeat our security systems" for a reason. The bad guys would have it in no time.

This is part of the problem I was having with the dealer, they just weren't going to tell me how to fix my own, both for liability reasons and they want to charge ya for that sort of thing.

Thanks! Appreciate It! Just asking... would an Anti-Theft PCM work?

The trouble is you may run into this sort of thing at the dealer as well, they may just replace everything and charge you an unreasonable amount of money for the "favor".

Your best option at this point is to just give your current mechanic time to figure it out.

At least he seems determined and is willing to work on basically for free until he does.

That sounds like good advice. Will do that, then. I REALLY APPRECIATE all your time and replies! I'll be back sometime...

I'm baaaaaack! And I got my Explorer back 1st thing last week! Mechanic said he found a few cut and corroded wires in the harness from the original installation and repaired them. He said he disconnected the Anti Theft wires and it ran great until last night leaving work, fuel pump would not kick in. I had trickle charged the battery back to full when I got it home as it had been sitting for almost a month and wa very low.
Question: Would bad alternator/low battery keep the fuel pump from turning on?
The Explorer did eventually start and it seems like the alternator is going as I drove it home...very sluggish and hardly accelerated. I'll replace the Alternator on Saturday and we'll see what happens. At least we got it going again...

Back