• Register Today It's free!

Antifreeze in oil?

jshafer

Reaction score
City, State
hastings nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls
My 1999 explorer xls with the 4.0 ohv engine is loosing antifreeze(like over a gallon in less than 1/2 hour of running). There is quite a bit in the oil. The motor has over 215,000 miles on it. My question is this. If I fix the leak which I assume is a head gasket or intake gasket do you think the bottom end is okay. I don't think I ran it long with that diluted oil but I'm not sure.

If not where is a good place to get rebuild kits and performance parts. If I rebuild it I would like to give it a little more uhpp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as it doesn't make any bad noises, you should be alright. Just be careful, and don't run it in the current condition. It will be a little bit of a gamble, but it sounds like you're OK.

I know someone else knows more than I do here, and should be able to advise you more.

I just hate to spend much time and money fixing the problem just to spin a bearing 500 miles later.

If it hasn't made any noise, it's probably salvagable. But do NOT drive it under any circumstances now. You've probably shortened its expected life a little bit already, but if it never made any noises, it's probably salvageable.

-Joe

I didn't drive it after I found the problem. And I won't. It wasn't making any noise. Shorten it's life expentancy. It's got 215,000 miles it's well past it life expectancy, I think.:D

I would recommend pulling the motor so you could take a look at the bottom end. That is the only way you will really know if your ok. If your truck is in good condition and since you have to go into the motor anyway, I would recommend that you freshen up the motor a bit since it already has 215,000 miles on it.

With antifreeze in the oil you either have a blown head gasket, cracked head, or blown intake manifold gasket.

With antifreeze in the oil you either have a blown head gasket, cracked head, or blown intake manifold gasket.

Thats what I was figuring. It's in good shape but I just don't see the point I just want to drive it for about another year or so. It's like any high mileage vehicle lots of little things are breaking and wearing out.

I'm going to tear into it Sun and see where I'm at.

My 1999 explorer xls with the 4.0 ohv engine is loosing antifreeze(like over a gallon in less than 1/2 hour of running). There is quite a bit in the oil. The motor has over 215,000 miles on it. My question is this. If I fix the leak which I assume is a head gasket or intake gasket do you think the bottom end is okay. I don't think I ran it long with that diluted oil but I'm not sure.

If not where is a good place to get rebuild kits and performance parts. If I rebuild it I would like to give it a little more ump
go on you tube scotty Kilmer's channel. he has video on how to see if its head gasket. there's a kit you buy . but in reality its a lot of work and time for head gasket. the motors got 215k might be better for installing a rebuilt engine, swap in used one or pick up a donor with good engine but bad body
i got a 99 not running bad slave cyl let it sit too long but it was a great year in 110k i put tires brakes, 2 batteries and thermostat and couple of bulbs and wipers total plus oil 3to 5k 20mpg i think it was the lowest cost per mile of any new truck or car i owned even better than most used ones
for more ump swap the ohc in it i suggest a donor truck so all parts are there

14 year zombie resurrection…not bad not bad

Back