Any issues with aftermarket headunits? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any issues with aftermarket headunits?

Blacksheepdj

Reaction score
City, State
Concord Township, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Doing some searching, I noticed some folks commenting on how their aftermarket headunit wouldn't work with the stock system because of the factory amp and such. Seemed to be mostly 2nd Gen folks posting, but just figured I'd ask the folks with my Gen.

I'm new to Explorers, so I'll toss in what I know...
2004 XLT
Stereo seems to be pretty basic CD player unit. No multiple discs, no MP3 capability, nothing spectacular.
Has the factory DVD player option. Don't know if that changes anything.

----------------

If I've read correctly, it seems that the stock unit has no AUX input, so if I want to use my iPod (don't suggest the iTrip, please), I'd need to go aftermarket. A basic, cheap Pioneer unit was the plan. Something that'll play MP3 discs and let me use my iPod would be perfect. Would this be a plug-n-play operation, or do I need to expect wiring difficulties to make it all work?

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to the Crutchfield website and enter your vehicle, they then list what fits.

http://www.crutchfield.com/

Good luck ...

Been there, done that. They don't have anything that matches my situation. The only two options are:

1. With factory subwoofer, no DVD player
2. Without factory subwoofer, no DVD player.

Since I have a DVD player, that makes it kinda worthless. Also, I'm mostly just asking if I can expect any abnormal problems. Crutchfield doesn't really go that far "outside the box"...

What is your objective?

I bought from crutchfield... double din w/ipod adapater. no problems with fit or connection. JVC, about $250.00. But you have a dvd player in dash? Are you getting a single din? I'm just a bit confused... thanks!

I have and '04 as well, also been looking for something too. I have the Cass/CD, DVD (flip down TV), Rear Controls, Steering Controls. From what I have learned aftermarket HU you lose it all . . .
Best bet is OEM stuff . . .

^i believe his is talking about the flip down tv

Yeah, the OEM unit.

I have and '04 as well, also been looking for something too. I have the Cass/CD, DVD (flip down TV), Rear Controls, Steering Controls. From what I have learned aftermarket HU you lose it all . . .

The DVD is independent, so I doubt I'd lose that. Not sure about the volume, however, since the only volume I have for it is over the radio (playing the DVD audio through the whole car)...

I don't have rear controls or steering controls, so we're different in that respect.

I would love to stay OEM, but I can't use my MP3 CDs or iPod, which are things that I've become VERY accustomed to having access to. Also, it's the only thing I use my iPod for, so that would make it a $300 paperweight...

Just thought of something, my son can play his iPod through the extra inputs in the DVD player on our '04. When you hit the source I have Aux2 input.

Just thought of something, my son can play his iPod through the extra inputs in the DVD player on our '04. When you hit the source I have Aux2 input.

Sounds like you have a better stereo than I do. I don't have any visible AUX inputs or way to change source. The only things I have are AM/FM and CD buttons on the face.

It's possible that I could route the iPod into the DVD player, then activate the DVD player audio (which takes over a radio station). But I have no clue what level of sound quality that will achieve (or if I'm smart enough to do it. :confused: )

Thanks for the idea!

I'm old school still, forgot about screens...

^i believe his is talking about the flip down tv

Too complex for my brain... :confused: I have no dvd anything :(

Could either of you toss up a pic when you have time? Thanks!

I've been posting in the other link too, but it looks like we have different DVD units. Explains the mystery Switch.

While I have no experience with Fords DVD players, but I would think that if you have to tune it in on the radio, it is after market.

As far as the iPod goes, why don't you look for a unit that plugs inbetween the antena and the head unit. I had one of these years ago for a 12 disk CD changer. It's sound quality is better than the cheap FM modulators, and you get to keep the factory stereo (usually better quality than aftermarket anyway).

if the factory headunit has a changer control
you could tap into this and make your own aux in

As far as the iPod goes, why don't you look for a unit that plugs inbetween the antena and the head unit. I had one of these years ago for a 12 disk CD changer. It's sound quality is better than the cheap FM modulators, and you get to keep the factory stereo (usually better quality than aftermarket anyway).

Interesting, thanks. I'll have to look into this.

if the factory headunit has a changer control
you could tap into this and make your own aux in

No clue if mine has a changer control... :eek:

Back