• Register Today It's free!

Anybody fixed a windshield leak?

MillerAPF97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branson, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
A couple of weeks ago, I started looking for the cause of the water-stained headliner in my Ex. Seems the worst around the moonroof, so that's where I started and focused my search. After spraying and watching, it looks more like the leak is along the top edge of the windshield. Just to confirm, I put a strip of duct tape along the whole upper edge. It seemed to stop the leak until I started spraying at the little voids where the roof panel and the door frames meet. Still got water coming in there, but I've got some fillers latexed in place for now. It's also just a confirmation thing, so after the next round of spraying, I should know for sure where the leak is.
I read a Ford service bulletin that included the '97 Explorer that gave a fix for the leaking windshield. The idea is to use butyl rubber sealant under the windshield trim, all the way around, to enhance/complete the seal that maybe didn't get completely done with the urethane adhesive. Has anybody done this or had it done? How did it work out? I'm also thinking of filling the panel gaps with some "dumdum" to help prevent any future recurrence. Thoughts or experiences, anybody? This is, like, the last major thing keeping me on the fence about keeping the truck. Thanks in advance - Chris:usa:

Okay, so... Between the duct tape, the filler blocks and latex sealer, my wife reports no water coming in any more as I sprayed the roof. YAY! Mystery solved. So the only remaining question is whether to attempt the re-seal myself or to pay to have it done. Still, any input or insight? Thanks in advance - Chris:usa:

Back