• Register Today It's free!

Anybody own Ford stock?

The Godfather

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I bought a couple thousand dollars worth about a month ago. Too bad it went down, oh well. I figure with Ford projected to be the #1 automaker in a couple years it wouldn't hurt to invest in it. Anybody else own it?
Also, does anybody know if Ford is buying BMW in a couple years? I read something about it somewhere. I wouldn't doubt it.

------------------
93 XLT 4 door
Big, green, and slow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do own a few shares nothing real big. I have had it for about a year now. Lets just say I haven't lost money. yet. knock on wood!

I hope it goes up so I can make some money but with the stock market you never really know.

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

Yeah I own some. As for the BMW buyout, Ford made an offer, BMW refused, Ford made another offer, GM made a counter offer. We'll just have to wait and see how it comes out. With the LandRover purchase from BMW, I doubt they will be able to keep up with GM's bids for long. Ford buys BMW that stock will go UP!

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Been watching it for some time. Not really much movement the last half of last year and then dropping off from Jan. on. Now that it finally stopped the down trend and actually started to move up the last 10 days or so, it's getting to look somewhat attractive.
If Greenspan raises interest a half point the next time, and the economy finally slows down, what do you think people are gonna stop buying first? Big ticket items, cars first.
If Ford gets Land Rover, it'll be at a pretty steep price. Heck, I believe the offer right now is for more than BMW paid for all of Rover. Ford's stock price will probably go down, which is normal for the acquiring company.
I think I'll keep my eye on it, but there are too many question marks at this point for my taste. I'm not gonna jump on it yet.

------------------
Peter
'99 Sport 4wd SOHC

I hope to god GM doesn't buy BMW. GM is doing a terrible job keeping up as it is, they lack big time in technology/quality. All that would do is bring BMW down. The glory days of GM are over.

------------------
93 XLT 4 door
Big, green, and slow

I disagree, I'd look for the stock to go up once the acquisitions clear. Happens sometimes, sometimes doesn't. I don't have all that much in it so I'm not really worried. I agree with you Godfather, GM's glory days are long gone. I had a 95 Cadillac STS, it was so far behind ALL other cars in its class in refinement, ergonomics, etc. The new STS is the same way, closer but not close enough.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Stephen:
I agree with you that the stock will likely go up eventually after the aquisitions clear and are digested into the corporate culture. That's why I said I'll wait and see how it plays out. No sense tying up money now with not much of a chance for a significant up move.
I also agree with you on GM. I had a 95 Eldorado. It and the STS were getting glowing reports from most car publications back then, so I thought I'll try one on a lease. I guess my biggest problem was, I was coming from a BMW 535. Couldn't wait for the lease to end (2 years). Bought another BMW (328i Convertible) partway into the Eldorado lease and my first Explorer (97 XLT) once I was rid of the Eldorado. Since this was my first Explorer, I also only got a 2 year lease to find out how I liked it. Well, once that lease was up, I tried to buy the XLT, but found out that I could get a lot better deal on a new one. So I bought a 99 Sport. Haven't regretted that decision yet. The only annoyance have been 3 recalls.

------------------
Peter
'99 Sport 4wd SOHC

I had expected a lot more from the STS too. Thats one reason I put the poor ergonomics aside and went ahead and leased it, mine was 3 year. The LS400 I have now is a far better vehicle. I do agree, I wouldn't tie much into Ford stock right now. I just bought a few shares for the hell of it.

-Hey, that was my 500'th post!! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 03-28-2000).]

Back