anyone ever put an aluminum boat on a factry roof rack on a first gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone ever put an aluminum boat on a factry roof rack on a first gen?

bipolarbob

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna,British Columbia,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
anyone ever put an aluminum boat on a factory roof rack on a first gen?

Want to put my 12" aluminum on my factory rack on my 91...I know it is not wide enough but I would bolt angle iron onto rack with u-bolts.Just wondering if it is strong enough.Boat is about 150 lbs.Anyone ever break the rack?What's the heaviest thing anyone has put on the bars?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the manual says that there should only be 100 pounds on the rack, but they also say not to drive in water deeper than your bottom of your hubs. You probably should be able to do it, but that is just my opinion.

I had 2 boggers on my rack... brushed a curb at about 15 and cracked the rail. The tires and rims weighed in around 160lbs and cracked it like it was nothin...

Oops, shoulda read that 100lb warning!

I put my canoe on mine all the mine with no problems:D

I love this site...you guys are great...I'll let you know how it goes...doin it on saturday.Hey RFR2212 you have the weight evenly distributed over the whole rack?

Originally posted by bipolarbob
I love this site...you guys are great...I'll let you know how it goes...doin it on saturday.Hey RFR2212 you have the weight evenly distributed over the whole rack?

Yup, it was 2 tires strapped to a safari rack. It was just alot of weight on it.. I overloaded it, and payed the price. I fixed it by using an L bracket and 2 bolts on each L to hold the pieces together

Back