Anyone have problem with Mac CAI on '02 V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have problem with Mac CAI on '02 V8?

Explorer46L

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer "XP8"
I just installed my Mac CAI on my 2002 V8 XLT today. After the install was done I let the car idle and checked all the connections. Everything sounded right(no leaks) so I took the truck out for a spin. Unfortunately about 30 seconds into my ride the CEL came on. There is just one thing. I happen to forget to reinstall the electronics to the MAS. I just didn't reconnect it. Anyway now I have a dilemma. The CEL most likely came on because the MAS wasn't hooked up...but would it have come on anyone for emissions reasons with the Mac CAI? Has anyone installed a Mac CAI on an 4.6L V8 Explorer? I am just worried that some emissions control would set off the CEL also. Can anyone help me?:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. As long as everything is hooked up like stock you should have no problems.

The disconnected MAF definitely is what tripped the CEL.

Hey let us know what kind of gains you feel, I am thinking about putting a CAI on mine but, dont know what if any kind of gains I will see.

Yeah I know the disconnected MAS is what tripped the CEL, I was just wondering if it would have gone off anyway. Basically I don't want to get the CEL reset by Ford then trip it again.
Big Green - not sure if I felt any gains when I took it for a spin but it seemed to rev a little freer. Also it had a killer sound when you stomp on it. Well I guess I will bring it in for service and see what happens.

Just disconnect your battery for 20 mins to reset the CEL. You need to do it anyways if you are installing an aftermarket intake.

Back