Anyone have problems installing a steering stabilizer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have problems installing a steering stabilizer?

davy crockett

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
So finally after six long months I have my truck on the road (pics to follow soon) but the steering needs some improving so I picked up a BDS steering shock kit. Problem I have is the steering linkage is too close to the cross member and it hits the shock body at full RH lock. If I move the bracket farther to the right of the x-member to avoid the tie rod the shaft of the shock hits the axle pivot drop bracket.

I'm wondering if anyone has a different mounting system than one using the front x-member. I thought about bolting the bracket right to the LH axle housing but I'm not sure how much height variation between axle and linkage there will be under articulation.

Truck is a 93 Ex 4-door, Tuff Country 4" lift with a Skyjacker 6" drop pitman.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 91 Explorer has a 5.5 in. lift from Superlift. The steering stabilizer that came with the kit was for a F-150. Didn't install it myself so I don't know all those details. It's worked well for me though.

ever get it mounted.i tried to put one on mine and had the same problem,might be related to the fa 600 arm

ever get it mounted.i tried to put one on mine and had the same problem,might be related to the fa 600 arm

No, never did get it installed.

I have a buddy who runs an off-road shop. One of these days when I'm in his neck of the woods I'll have him take a look at it and see if he can figure out a way to make it work.

i figured mine out.i just flip the bracket around that mount on the crossmember and bent it a little for the new angle.its real close but works for now.ill see if it rubs 4x4 ing this weekend.its the fa 600 arm that mess it all up.

i figured mine out.i just flip the bracket around that mount on the crossmember and bent it a little for the new angle.its real close but works for now.ill see if it rubs 4x4 ing this weekend.its the fa 600 arm that mess it all up.

If it works please post here. If you had a pic to that would be great.

its works for the street just fine,just need to see if under flex it works.ill post pics.going out this week end;)

pics
the bracket thats attaches to the cross member is flipped around then bent out a little to clear the pig coming up.the one on the arm is bent a little to help with the angle.it clears but a full right lock it comes very close to hitting the bolt head in the passenger side drop bracket
5-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

Thanks for the pics!

Let me know how it works. I think I may see if i can get mine on this weekend.

Im getting ready to put my steering stabilizer on later today, my ex is at the alignment shop right now. I just installed the FA600 this morning. I'll take some pics during the install.

JD242 - If the pitman arm is coming close to the threaded end of the stabilizer, couldn't you just cut off a little bit of the thread?

I just noticed it looks like I installed our steering stabalizer with the brackets the other way around compared to what is pictured above.

Here is the best shot I can find of ours. We are using a rancho steering stabalizer and I think the brackets are rancho also. I got them via amazon.com

6006445236_f8291bbc4c_b.jpg

steering-stabalizer by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

mine would not install the way it tells you to install it.it would not fit at all and if i flipped it around the way you have it,it would take up even more room.if you look at the bracket that mounts on the cross bar you can tell how i mounted it different.

Im getting ready to put my steering stabilizer on later today, my ex is at the alignment shop right now. I just installed the FA600 this morning. I'll take some pics during the install.

JD242 - If the pitman arm is coming close to the threaded end of the stabilizer, couldn't you just cut off a little bit of the thread?

its the fa600 arm that is the problem.each model(fa400 and fa600) bring the arm down father but also brings it back towards the crossmember.this is also why people get binding in there steering with the fa600 and not enough lift

Back