Anyone have sub up front? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have sub up front?

kola

Reaction score
Hi:

Does anyone have sub--8 or 10 inch--up front on the floor "hump" between the console and ash tray? Clarion used to make down firing powered sub for that location called the Camouflage. I'm not interested in a powered sub, so I thought I would make my own enclosure.

Any sound/staging/imaging problems of having sub so near the component speakers (MB Quart Qs)? Also, what are the pros and cons of having one sub up front and another in the rear cargo area?

I currently have the JL Audio Stealthbox with W1. The W1 is worthless. I'm thinking about upgrading the woofer in the Stealthbox. Whatever woofer I do purchase, I understand that I'll have to use a spacer ring because of the shallow mounting depth of the Stealthbox.

Also, I currently have the mids of my components in the front doors, so I am not interested in placing any woofers in the front doors.

Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could always just put a w0 in the stealth. My friend has 2 in his truck that we built a box for under the seat (f150) and they sound great. Never heard the w1's so not sure how bad they are....

As far as putting a sub there I have never seen that before. I doubt there would be a problem with it since bass is not as directional as treb and so forth, and even in my friends f150 sitting in the back seat literally on top of the subs it still sounds fine to me, about the same as the front really. If you can make it work I would love to see pics. That is an interesting idea.

Thanks for the reply.

I posted this inquiry on a car audio site. Between the responses there, here, and further research, I think this is definitely workable. I simply forgot about bass not being directional.

I need to decide what would be the best combination of size of subs. Should the one in the cargo area be larger; should they both be the same size. And how about crossover points? Should they be the same for both subs or should one be set lower than the other?

I'll keep you posted.

Below is a link to pics of this being done in an Acura Intega.

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/304268/4

I would set up the sub in the rear for the lower frequencies and use the front sub to fill in the gap between the sub and the highs. Different sizes of subs tend to cancel each other out, but I'm not sure if it makes as much difference if they aren't close together.

I would go with the same subs for size and model personally. When I replaced my sony's with kappa perfects I wired one of each to see what it was like. It was even worse than the sony's alone, it sounded horrible.

Just a thought, same subs seem to go better together.

icu400 said:
I would go with the same subs for size and model personally. When I replaced my sony's with kappa perfects I wired one of each to see what it was like. It was even worse than the sony's alone, it sounded horrible.

Just a thought, same subs seem to go better together.

Try wiring one of them out of phase.

This is what i get for working in radio. :rolleyes:

--
Alex

I'm going to be putting two eights in a custom center console I'm building, but to answer your question, yes I've seen a guy fit an Adire Braham 12 where your thinking of. If your going to do it, I personally would go with an 8.

What is the benefit of using two 8s over one? Or two eights over a single 10?

thanks

If you build a box up front, think about it's height and how it will affect the sound coming from your passanger's speaker. If the box is high enough it could really deflect the sound and make your system not sound quite as good. I say just do a custom box in the back in the stock location, do a nice high quality sub and run like 300+wrms to it.

300 watts on 1 10" will be as loud as 150 watts on 2 10"s

Back