Anyone know anything about the new ProComp 3" 2WD lift kit? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know anything about the new ProComp 3" 2WD lift kit?

Will this fit on a 96 XLT as well. I think the description is only for 98+.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I called my local Ford Dealer to see how much new springs were. They want $167 for each side! However he did say that there were three different types, based on stiffness, kinda like the torsion bars. Well anyway at that price I think I'll just go with a set from a salvage yard.

I think I may hold off a little while. I used the need of getting new tires as a reason to do this, and the tires aren't quite ready to go yet. Gotta keep the peace with the wife.

I'm also thinking of just getting the spindles by themselves. Then I can just swap the leaf springs, add hte shackles and the add-a-leaf. That would be much cheaper. Question is, can I use the Edelbrock shocks? THe front should be OK, as the shock mounting location is more or less unchanged from stock. But on the back, the mount will be much lower. I've heard some people remove some of htose spacers getween the axle and springs to move the mount back up. Is the space going to be too much to use the Edelbrocks on the back? Should I just get the whole kit with shocks included?

I'm running the Edlebrocks but have ditched the stock mounts on the rear because they wouldn't work with my spring over.

I also removed the spacers as well. I think if you go w/ an add-a-leaf you will not have a problem with your shocks. You could always ditch your sway bar. ;)

Dead Link Removed

WHOA!

OK, I went to that 4x4 shop near my place, and asked about hte ProComp kit. They wanted $945.68 plus taxfor the kit, and another $350 for installation. I think I'll order it for $522.95 and install it myself. The $800 in savings would pay for an awful lot of stuff. I usually prefer to support my local shops, but htat's a bit much. Thanks for all your advice and help, and I guess I'll be using that write-up by Harry5150 after all.

Lift from a SOA?

OK. I just got the 4dr leaf pack today. Ride actually seems better to me. I also ordered the ProComp lift kit today. One problem though. I don't think it will work as well on the 2dr because of the leaf under the axle. Anyways, the whole kit with spindles, shocks, a-a-l and hardware was only $496.95 and free shipping. The spindles alone were $429 so I can't loose even if the rear is not usable. This way I get new shocks too.

I may have my local shop do a SOA conversion. I was talking to then today and it'll be about $35 for parts. I would do it myself except that my apartment will evict me if I do any more work on my cars in the parking lot, and I don't have a welder to tack on the axle mounts. They'll charge for installation but it's easier than finding a new place to live.

So here is what I will have done.

Front:
ProComp 3" spindles
1.5-2" TT

Rear:
SOA Conversion
Warrior-153 shackles (if needed)

Tires:
33x12.5 17" (ProComp maybe)

OK. I finally have a plan. I'm dropping my X of tomorrow to get the stuff installed. Hopefully by Saturday I'll have an Explorer lifted about 4.5-5". Unfortunately the tires won't get here till Tuesday, so I may look a bit silly for a day or two. I'll get the pics up as soon as I get it all put together.

Back