• Register Today It's free!

Anyone put 0W40 oil in 4.0L OHV?

AP9

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago SW suburbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4WD, 4.0L OHV V6
A certain retailer is currently offering a sale & rebate in which I could purchase 6 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil for just under $30. I've read that M1 0W40 is a top-of-the-line oil and is a "true" Group IV oil. Now I am not having any problems with the engine besides a very minor leak from what I believe is the rear crankshaft seal. Just wanted to see who else out there has successfully run 0W40 in their OHV V6. Regardless of what Ford says, I don't feel comfortable putting 5W-20 in, but on the other hand I wonder if the 0W-40 would be a bit too heavy at operating temps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think 40 would be a little heavy but it's not going to cause any problems, why not run 30?

$30 for 6 quarts of oil isn't a great deal, does that include the filter? Besides, you only need 5 quarts.

As far as I know, all Mobile 1 is a group III, if you want a good group IV get Amsoil, aint cheap but it's a good oil. And you can save some cash if you do an extended oil change interval. I'm going 12,000 but that's pretty short for Amsoil signature series.

your engine was not designed for this weight oil. if i were you i'd run 5w30 or 10w30.

If the engine is worn, the crankshaft bearings have wider gaps then when it was new. 40 oil might be exactly what he needs.

PS: Explorer engines where designed to 30 weight, changing the owner manual latter to comply with federal regulations didn't change nothing inside the engine. My 2001 V8 5.0L was ruined by that 5W-20 oil "recommended". Now I have to run 5W-50 or 5W-40 with Lucas to have decent idle pressure.

5w-30

The owner's guide for my 2000 Explorer specifies engine oil as 5W-30. Mobil 1 0W-40 has a viscosity of 75 @ 40 deg C (104 deg F) and 13.5 @ 100 deg C (212 deg F). Mobil 1 5W-30 has a viscosity of 61.7 @ 40 deg C and 11.0 @ 100 deg C. Optimum engine oil temperature is 215 deg F. The main advantage of 0W-40 is lower viscosity at cold start (especially in cold climates) improving initial engine lubrication. In general Mobil 1 encourages following the specifications of the owner's guide.

PS: Explorer engines where designed to 30 weight, changing the owner manual latter to comply with federal regulations didn't change nothing inside the engine. My 2001 V8 5.0L was ruined by that 5W-20 oil "recommended". Now I have to run 5W-50 or 5W-40 with Lucas to have decent idle pressure.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I don't mind taking a slight hit to fuel economy if it means running an oil that will protect the engine better. I'm thinking I may actually try mixing 5W-30 and 0W-40.

Walmart sells 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for around 25$ and you can get what ever weight you need. I run 10w30 in my ohv 4.0s and 5w30 in my sohcs and 10w40 in my 5.0s

Walmart sells 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for around 25$ and you can get what ever weight you need. I run 10w30 in my ohv 4.0s and 5w30 in my sohcs and 10w40 in my 5.0s

Wow, I need to go to walmart again.

I was at the local parts store yesterday (Oreilly's) to turn some rotors and the Mobile 1 10w-30 was $8/quart. They did have the Cheaper Mobile synthetic (non mobile 1) for around $6/quart but thats not the good stuff.

I've been getting my oil via a neighbor/distributor so I hadn't seen what local prices had go up to but that Walmart price is what I was paying via a distributor.

~Mark

I'm thinking I may actually try mixing 5W-30 and 0W-40.
The 0W-40 might have an incompatible additive with the 5W-30 one, because is a very new and unusual oil. I wouldn't mix them.

The 0W-40 might have an incompatible additive with the 5W-30 one, because is a very new and unusual oil. I wouldn't mix them.

Mobil1 0W-40 is not new and has been around for quite some time. It meets the requirements of most European cars and is what I run in the Saab. I use 5w-40 Rotella T6 in the Explorer.

Well, OK, is newer than the 5W30 that he wanted to mix with.
Rotella 5W-40 is the one that I use too. BTW, AAP has a $5 rebate (2 per household) for it, running right now.

Nice! There's a rebate for Penzoil Platinum. I believe it works out to be $8 per 5qts from Walmart.

My wife just text me Mobil 1 26.97$ for a 5 qt jug lol her message center just let her know its time for a oil change in the 99 mounty.

Meh, I run 5w20. Works great in my 5.0

The only difference between a 0w40 and a 5w30 will be the Viscosity Index Improvers, and you won't really find "incompatible" additive packages in modern oils. Different manufacturers may vary their additive packages, but there are pretty strict industry standards for what they use these days. Mostly it is just variations in things like detergents and mineral content. You won't find stuff that will pull another oil's additives out of suspension or negatively affect the additives unless you do something like start mixing in Group V esters with conventional oils.

As far as I know, all Mobile 1 is a group III, if you want a good group IV get Amsoil, aint cheap but it's a good oil. And you can save some cash if you do an extended oil change interval. I'm going 12,000 but that's pretty short for Amsoil signature series.

Group 3+, just so you know

Back