AUSSIE LOCKER TEST: theyre the real deal! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AUSSIE LOCKER TEST: theyre the real deal!

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
so i went up to tahoe this weekend and put my aussie lockers to their first serious test. in a nutshell, i got to say im very damn impressed. i went up to a trail that i regularly visit while im up in south lake tahoe (GENOA PEAK) so i can compare how my rig handles the same trail with the lockers as opposed to how it handles before i put the lockers on.

the lockers worked great, i dont think my tires spun at all, we just casually made it over every little obstacle i threw at it. there were parts of the trail that i have been over multiple times that would give me trouble before and with the lockers i was easily climbing up and over all the boulders and stuff in my way. i couldnt believe how much of a difference these little lunchbox lockers made, i must say, i think i had an easier time on this trail with these lockers in 2WD than i would have had with my old isuzu 4x4 with a limited slip rear. to sum it up, i gotta say i would recommend getting some aussie lockers on your rig if you plan on doing any kind of off roading. i am a true believer in these now and cant wait to take them to hollister hills some time before the summer ends.

when i was first looking to buy mt ST, there were only two for sale from dealers within 100 miles of me, one was a high mileage beat to hell 4x4 from a shady looking car dealership, and a fully loaded, low mileage, 2WD in pristine condition with a camper top and tow package. because i dont do any hardcore wheeling, i decided to go with the 2WD and just get some lockers somewhere down the road to get me through any off road trails i might hit. at first i had some second thoughts about not getting the 4x4, but after throwing these lockers on, im 100% sure i made the right choice. i got the ST that had everythign i was looking for and now with the lockers i can get through all the mild to off road trails that come across my way when im out in the great outdoors. i know this sounds like a commercial but in all honesty, this is the best little mod i could have made! highly recommended if you dont mind the ratcheting sound in parking lots.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice review mate!

never heard anything bad about aussie lockers and love mine:)do you have one in the front also?

He's 2wd, so no locker in the front.

yup 2wd here fellas! got the ol 4x4 in semi-retirement, but my ST is 2wd. the lockers are amazing though, still not 4x4 by any stretch, but man, do they haul ass up those steep narrow and rocky hill climbs. like i said, it seemed like i had an easier time with those lockers in 2wd than i think i would have in my ol 4x4 on certain parts of that trail. i did hang my rear diff up on a rock while going in reverse like an idiot, 4wd coulda helped me get out of that a little easier once i got some rocks under my wheels, but while i wasnt stuck, the lockers had me crawling right over every little boulder or whatever was out there. wish i took some video but it was pretty dark when i was out there (night wheeling!). i would recommend the aussie lockers to anyone who uses their rig to the next great trail for camping or mountain biking or hunting or whatever it is you do, especially if you are 2wd.

Back