• Register Today It's free!

Aussie Lockers question

zPike00EB

Reaction score
City, State
boston, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB
I have a 2000 Explorer with the 8.8 rear end.

It's axle code is D4 -- Which means it has the Limited slip differential.

I went to aussie locker's website and theres a disclaimer at the bottom that reads:

"The Aussie Locker is designed to be installed in an open carrier. If you have a limited slip or posi traction carrier it will be necessary to replace these with an open prior to installing the Aussie Locker."

How would I go about doing this, or is there any other locker I should consider?

What would I do for front lockers..?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could buy an open carrier from a wrecker that would house the Aussie. As for front, Aussie is about your only choice at this point.

Powertrax makes a locker for the limited slip.. part number 92-0688-3128

you can get a open carrier real cheap from the junk yard

I wouldn't even know what to look for if I went to a junkyard :(

Auburn Gear makes the ected locker for Ford 8.8 diffs. It replaces both LSD and open carriers. All in one unit that is LSD and electric locker.

I have the 3.73 gears now and a member suggested going to a junkyard, finding V6 explorer axles with open differential (4.10 gears) installing an Aussie onto the rear axle and completely swapping the axles.

This would give me a rear locker as well as a re-gear for ~500 if I do it myself.

What do you guys think..?

How hard is axle swapping?

I have the 3.73 gears now and a member suggested going to a junkyard, finding V6 explorer axles with open differential (4.10 gears) installing an Aussie onto the rear axle and completely swapping the axles.

This would give me a rear locker as well as a re-gear for ~500 if I do it myself.

What do you guys think..?

How hard is axle swapping?

The rear axle is not hard but I've never swapped out the IFS so I'm not sure how difficult that would be. If you can do the work yourself you will save a ton of money vs. going to a shop to have a regear done.

Locker install may be easier for some but for most who have never opened up their diffy its a horrific thing to open for the first time..

Locker install may be easier for some but for most who have never opened up their diffy its a horrific thing to open for the first time..

I think i almost cried when I saw a diff opened for the first time haha. Still not a one person job for me but once you get a little practice they are easier to look at and understand.

Finding someone who has done it before and having them explain it to you and be there while you are installing is a thousand times better than even the best online guide.

Junkyard wants 350$ for Front and rear axles. "4.10 off of a 1999 explorer"

Does this sound right?

Sounds about right, but junkyard prices are all over the place. As long as the gears are in good condition it's worth it. Now you just have to think about what kind of condition the rest of the axle is in, ie brakes, brake lines, diff covers, bearings, that stuff.

so if have a locker in the front is it bad if its always 4wd?

so if have a locker in the front is it bad if its always 4wd?

What do you mean - auto 4x4 or what? If you have auto 4x4 you will need to do the brown wire mod to prevent your front axle from locking on the street.

I put an explorer axle on my ranger and it was very easy. If you have an explorer it will be even easier (no fab required). Now, I didn't replace the L/S carrier but I did rebuild the clutchpack. its pretty simple and there are tutorials all over the web

I put an explorer axle on my ranger and it was very easy.

Did you go to a spring-over setup, or did you relocate the spring perches? Just curious...

{/hijack off}

Well, as you know the explorer axles come as spring under. I relocated the perches to a spring over config, and also welded the shock mounts higher so they are level with the bottom of the axle housing (more ground clearance, less likely to find a rock there). I also welded the axle housing to the pig.

Back